Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

Jee, thanks for no info, another reply with no reply, and pre-written macro. You truly care for your users. I have started the Apple Music trial, going to run with it, it's not Spotify, but if by the time the trial ends, there won't be a universal app, I'm going to stick with them, I swear to god. 

Wow I am glad you came and gave this really important update on the development for Apple Silicon version of the software so that you can keep getting paid for a job you are not doing.

Unbelieveable.

Fix the app for M1 Mac please, I thought Spotify was the premium music service?

You don't need a vote to tell you there's an issue.

Is this going to be fixed soon?

I had the same issue. I found a workaround by disabling Hardware Acceleration in the Spotify menu.   It should work until Spotify build a native app for M1.

The generic corporate responses are utterly pointless.. some kind of idea of a roadmap / timeline for an M1 native release would be useful.

All the people here are correct.
I am a Spotify Premium subscriber for 5 years and I have been using an Apple silicon mac for the last month.
Numerous FREE (or free licence) apps like Firefox, JetBrains (CE) software, Zoom, Slack have had a dedicated M1 version since February.
Even the open-source community has been constantly implementing/rebuilding code for the M1 chips as well.
Running spotify under rosetta 2, even paused, drains the battery very fast. Even Youtube playing music on a browser is more energy efficient.
Your delay is irresponsible at least for a 5000 employee company.

we need spotify on m1.

I also have the same problem. MacBook Pro, macOS Big Sur V 11.2.3 and M1 chip.  Can you please fix this, it's been happening for a month now and it's very, very annoying.

Hi there @Legawien84,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you let us know what troubleshooting steps you've done so far so that we can continue help you in the best way.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

still a laggy piece**bleep** on m1 macs

@moderators I have a copy of the most recent error report so you can find out what process is exactly crashing and make the proper adjustments to the app so it does not continue to occur on M1 Macs. Please let me know who to send to.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi there @jackrpress322,

Thank you for your reply.

You can send it here if you want to and we'll take a closer look into it.

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Find my crashlog attached.

attached

What steps do we need to take to get this task completed? Is paying not enough? Please take a look at other popular services and their quick adoption of Apple Silicon to get a sense of how out of touch this team is. There is a a huge disconnect here.

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro M1, it crashes all the time. I couldn't enjoy my music, I pay for premium but I get an app that crashes. It really frustrates me.

PS: Votes should not be the basis for improving a customer's experience. Just saying.

I'm trying this workaround but cannot find the Hardware Acceleration menu in my Spotify.app client, where is it?

Thanks

Hi folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

As with any new CPU and OS architecture, some time might need to pass until apps are optimized to work on those.

For now, it's worth to add your +VOTE and Subscribe to the idea @Ver sent previously, where we'll keep everyone updated.

@azertguigui, you can find Hardware Acceleration in the app settings > Show advanced settings > Compatibility > Hardware Acceleration. 

Hope this clears thing up. If you ever need anything else, just let us know. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Seriously? It's April 2021 now and the M1 was released to the public in November 2020 - a good 6 months ago. And with Spotify being a top ranking app I would expect that you guys had privileged access at least since the release of Big Sur at WWDC in June 2020. In short: I kindly ask you to reconsider your statement.

Suggested posts