Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify CRASHES as soon as it opens MAC OS X 10.8.4

Solved!

Spotify CRASHES as soon as it opens MAC OS X 10.8.4

Spotify keeps crashing when i open it! was working fine yesterday, now i can't even open it, have to force quit every time it launches!

Seems this defect has been around for a while and no fix yet! what is going on? Not happy about paying for a service when it doesnt even work!

44 Replies

I'm running into this too.  Complete uninstall and reinstall.  HUGELY annoying

Marked as solution

Hey everyone. If you have a gap ad on Spotify when you start up, try playing it then pausing it a day using Spotify. Found this on another thread and fixed my problem. Odd I know but it worked for me!
Marked as solution

This seems to have worked . Thanks.

I can't pause that video once it starts. Anyone else have that issue?

This worked. Had to play and pause the GAP ad.

This is ridiculous.

Marked as solution

After almost two years of having Spotify (as a paying member), looks like I'm going to CANCEL my service now. Too bad, 'cause I know the iTunes Radio feature still sucks, so I can't really go there. And Pandora and the other guys...well, it's not what Spotify was for me until just a week ago. Spotify, if you don't fix this, you'll lose more people!!!  Stop messing with the software and let it work the way it was!!  I'm not a programmer nor can I spend hours trying to fix something that I already installed and uninstalled many times!  If it works with Mavericks, then I'll come back. For now, buh-bye, guys. CDs and MP3s, here I come again...

FYI, as of today, my Premium account is CANCELED because I had no choice. Can't pay for something I'm unable to use.

Ridiculous indeed! Though I guess I'm happy it is a relatively simple (temporary) solution, thanks everyone.

Looking forward to a more permanent fix from Spotify and The Gap.

Hi guys, sorry to hear you're experiencing this and thanks for your reports.

Glad to see there's a temporary workaround for now. Are any of you Premium/Unlimited users having the same issue, without the GAP ad present?

We're looking into this now and will keep you all updated.

___

New to the Community? Check out the Community newbie tips

Did I solve your problem? Click 'Accept As Solution' to help others find the answer!

Need Spotify help on Twitter? Head to @SpotifyCares

I updated to 10.6.8 yesterday, and Spotify has been crashing like crazy ever since, whenever I add or remove songs from playlists. I'm paying premium, so no ads. 

Marked as solution

@fotografieke wrote:

I updated to 10.6.8 yesterday, and Spotify has been crashing like crazy ever since, whenever I add or remove songs from playlists. I'm paying premium, so no ads. 

There is a new version of the client which is rolling out which should hopefully help with the crashing issue. 

If you haven't got it yet, you can download and install it manually see this post for details.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi everyone! Please take a look at Rorey's update in this thread here

If you haven't already done a clean reinstallation go ahead and give that a try now. Update us in the thread I've linked to above if you're still having trouble. Thanks for your patience while we tackled this for you guys. 

Hello,

try to turn off your airport and then open spotify and disconnect from facebook.

Then turn airport back on and it should solve the problem

I'm having the same issue, on OS 10.8.5, have done a reinstall and Spotify crashes a couple of seconds after startup. I don't even have an opportunity to click the gap ad.

I'll be cancelling my subscription today. There's no point paying for a service I can't use so I'll be going to Pandora or elsewhere to get my tunes now. Sorry Spotify but you can't charge and have ineffective apps.

Are you behind a proxy server? If not the fix in this post may be worth trying.

I started having this issue too.

I open the spotify client and it crashes maybe 7 seconds after opening.

I get no crash report or anything. It simply hangs and I get the spinning beach ball of death on my Mac OS.

This is very annoying. I will stop paying for this service as well if it is not fixed.

Do the steps here fix it?
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Crashing-on-Startup-OSX-Mavericks...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes I have tried deleting the Application Support folder a lot of times.

I could not find the other cache folder suggested.

I do not have Mavericks so I dont know if that has something to do with it.

I was trying the other option where users put their system offline and then try to come back online and it works but I cannot do that because deleting the application support folder signed me out.

Now I cannot even sing in because when it is authenticating it hangs and I get the spinning beach ball.

Any other suggestions?

i have the same problem w/ my OS X 10.9.2.  I can't even open Spotify without the program crashing or with the beachball spinning.

I tried re-installing multiple times.  This is ridiculous. It's clearly something wrong with the program.  I will cancel my subscription if it's not fixed ASAP.

Suggested posts