Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect - Spotify Switches Playback Device Randomly

Spotify Connect - Spotify Switches Playback Device Randomly

So this is probably the 10th time this has happened in the last 3 weeks.

I will be listening to Spotify on my laptop at work, and all of a sudden, the music stops.

I didn't hit any keys, what the F?

I go into Spotify and it says Spotify Connect is now playing on "<Home PC Name>", my computer located about 10 miles from me.

First time this happened, I called my house mate and had him go into the room of the computer to confront the intruder in my home, but fortunately there was no intruder, only a Spotify bug.

Fast forward a couple days, hey it happened again!

And again, and again and again....

Look, the Spotify Connect is a pretty cool feature. I like it when it works. But this is starting to get annoying.

How can I keep Spotify from randomly deciding it's time to jam out my empty apartment, instead of my ears?

I'm open to just disabling the service, though I would like to keep using it because it's handy when I'm jamming on guitar and can control the music from my couch.

One more thing, I don't think it's my computer at home restarting and opening spotify because all of my applications/windows from the night before are still open when I get home.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can provide some insight into why this is happening.

70 Replies

The solution in this string didn't work for me.  So, I chatted with Spot support, and they didn't help either.  They told me to switch my phone to "offline" and use it that way.  Not only does it prevent the phone from syncing, you also have to re-switch it to "offline" every 30 days.

So, I HAVE A SOLUTION THAT WILL WORK!  It might sound a bit odd but it's effective and will work:  

1- Sign up for a 2nd Spotify account.  

2- Put this new account on the family plan as an added member (i.e. your original account will allow you to share your membership with others, so make this 2nd account 1 of them).

3- Sign into your new account and simply "Follow" all of your playlists from your original Spotify account.  Now, if you update a playlist on your original account to add a track or remove one, then your 2nd account will have that change also (because you followed your original playlists).

The end result is that your phone is not going to mysteriously start playing anymore. It's not a connected device to your original account.

Um.. what? The solution is to sign out of all other devices and reset the password? What kind of solution is that? I want to use Spotify on multiple devices. That's why I have spotify. I just don't want it to randomly start blaring out of my phone at work when I am using the web player. Do better.

I don't know. It worked for me.

No, they haven't fixed it yet. Still happening and very annoying. I changed the password on my account today and so far it seems that this has resolved it for now but way to early to tell.

It appears from all the forums I've been reading that it could be related to some kind of hack into Spotify's system. If changing the password temporarily or permanently fixes the issue for some users, then maybe Spotify has vulnerabilities that they are not aware.It wouldn't be the first time that a big company gets hacked.

I can say this is still happening and pretty annoying to be listening to music then all of a sudden nothing... okay, maybe it's loading or something, to find out a few minutes later it switched to another device randomly.

Yeah, this is still a problem for me.  My Spotify seems to really prefer my receiver.  Last night as I was playing video games at 2 a.m., my receiver randomly switched to Spotify and jacked the volume way up (which is awesome at 2 a.m. with people asleep nearby).  This isn't the first time it's happened.  My desktop player sometimes (often) thinks I'm choosing the receiver downstairs no matter what "device" I click on (phone, "this computer") and won't let me bring the music back up here unless I reboot my computer.  Just did it again ten minues ago in fact.  Not cool man, not cool.

i have the same issue. running spotify app on an iphone 7. i have a bluetooth speaker as my preferred output device, but the app keeps dropping it in favor of my bluetooth headphones.

This just started happening to me as well. At work I'm blocked from Spotify app connections, but I can play Spotify through the web. I click play, and suddenly it's playing on my home laptop. What's more annoying is that I make sure Spotify isn't even running on my home laptop -- so it appears that it launches and opens Spotify to start playing?

I'm going to log out from my home laptop (and maybe just uninstall the app itself) -- I typically only listen at work on the web and on my phone, but the app was handy to have around for creating new playlists and importing my own music. Grr.

The solution is to sign out of all other devices and reset (change) the password? This worked for me when I did it months ago and has not been an issue since. 

Just started doing it to me today. I was playing a song on my phone, switched it to the PC, it switched back and tghen the device wasn't even available. There should be a far better solution than changing your password, I've got enough to remember all the time, I don't want to have to come up with one everytime Spotify doesn't want to cooperate.

Happening to me as well... REFUSES to stop switching to my Echo. Every song it returns to the Echo and I have to manually switch it to my other device... Seriously, fix this already.

Suggested posts