Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop App for Mac not playing music

Solved!

Spotify Desktop App for Mac not playing music

Hi All,

I am experiencing an issue for the last couple days, where music does not play on the desktop app on my MacBook. The music does play on the web player and iOS app, but anytime I want to play music on the desktop app it does not do anything. I created a short loom video displaying the issue. While I am running on the latest beta version of macOS, I encountered this issue before upgrading to that. I do no suspect that its the issue here.

https://www.loom.com/share/6a5ad97d496643f4babd4f4381b4eae8

Plan

Premium

USA

Device

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019)

Operating System

MacOS 12

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @cgareffa,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Since you already reinstalled the app, can you confirm if you deleted the folders com.spotify.Client and com.spotify.client.helper before doing it? 

Here you can find how to locate those folders with the instructions for Mac, from step 2 to 9. 

Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hi there @cgareffa! Thanks for reporting this and welcome to the Community! 👋

Did you try to log in to Spotify using another account? If so, does the issue persist? If not, can you try logging into Spotify using another account? Just to make sure isn't anything related to your account using the Desktop app.

I'll be on the lookout for your reply!

Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So I created a separate account to test and that did work, weirdly. So there seems to be an issue with my premium account using the desktop app right now.

Hi again @cgareffa, thanks for getting back to us!

So, if you login back into Spotify using your main account the issue persists? Even you playing music normally using another account?

If you wish to keep using this new account and are worried about your playlists, followers, and liked songs you have been used on another account, you can follow the instructions here to see how you can transfer your playlists, saved songs, and followers.

Hope this was helpful. If you have any other concerns or questions, feel free to share them with us!

Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star

It's weird because my main account works on both the mobile and web apps, but it's just the desktop app that doesn't work.

Hello again @cgareffa! Thanks for keeping in touch! 🙂 

Well, this is is really weird! Do you know anyone with a desktop device like yours? If so, it'd be cool if you can test it on it, just to make sure it isn't anything related to your Mac or OS, or even on any desktop device. 

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Mateus.

MateusMSpotify Star

Hi @MateusM

From what I am gathering, this is only affecting my mac. I tried on a work PC and the desktop app worked. Hmm.

Hi @cgareffa,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Could you try clearing the Hosts file on your Mac? In this article you can find the steps to do it. 

Also, could you temporarily disable your Firewall/Antivirus and see how it works? 

If these steps don't do the trick, please try connecting your PC to a different internet network to test the app.

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I tried this as well, and nothing changed.

Hey @cgareffa,

Thank you for your swift reply. 

Could you start up your Mac in safe mode, and then reinstall the app one more time? Here you can find the steps to do it. 

In case this doesn't work, we suggest following the steps that @MateusM shared to transfer the music to the new account that works on the desktop app. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator

This did not work as the installer pulls from the internet and safe mode disables wifi. Unless there is a direct link to an installer to use.
Marked as solution

Hi @cgareffa,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Since you already reinstalled the app, can you confirm if you deleted the folders com.spotify.Client and com.spotify.client.helper before doing it? 

Here you can find how to locate those folders with the instructions for Mac, from step 2 to 9. 

Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

The clean install worked. Thank you!

Hi @cgareffa,

Thank you for sharing those good news!

We're glad to know everything is back to normal. We'll be here if you need us again. 

Cheers. 

NovyModerator

Suggested posts