Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop (Mac) Won't Play Most Songs

Spotify Desktop (Mac) Won't Play Most Songs

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

For a few weeks now the downloaded Spotify desktop version won't play the majority of songs I try to play. Artwork only appears sporadically, and most songs I can click the play button but nothing happens after that.

The only songs I can play are ones I have saved previously.

I am connected to the internet and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify several times, while also ensuring that I have the latest Mac OS installed.

Please help - very frustrating having paid for premium and needing to use YouTube while in work instead of the platform I pay for.

Thanks,

JW

2 Replies

I'm also having this exact same problem (2018 5k imac and on my 2012 macbook pro) but unless theres been any new developments i'm starting to wonder if it will ever really be addressed tbh, could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its been going on for months now.

There seems to be a lot of threads that talk about this for both Windows And Mac with pretty lacklustre suggestions, most threads seem to recommend editing the hosts file to fix the issue which i feel is total BS, * asking users to edit system files just to get the app to work is just....stupid *  and in my experience that fix only works temporarily before its back to not playing most things about a day later.

Personally mulling over a move to apple/amazon if its not sorted out very soon.

Agreed - getting users to fix the hosts file is nonsense. And even when i've done that, the problem resurfaces within a couple of days. Very frustrating (and even moreso now that that isn't even working for me anymore).

Will definitely be considering other services soon if this isn't resolved once and for all.

Suggested posts