Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Desktop crashes on MacOS

Spotify Desktop crashes on MacOS

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur 11.2.2

My Question or Issue

Since the latest update, Spotify Desktop on macOS is crashing randomly, mostly when waking the computer from sleep mode and logging back in. I have attached the crash log.

17 Replies

Hey there @moterink,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know if the same issue occur on the web player as well?

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey,

thank you for your quick reply!

I redownloaded Spotify, however unfortunately the issue still persists. 😕

The issue does not appear on the web player, the problem seems to be related to the macOS app itself.

Hi @moterink

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know what. 

We suggest that you check your firewall and antivirus on your PC and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.

On another note, we recommend following the guide provided in this Solution, to try and clear the host file entries on your Mac. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

I have deactivated both Firewall and Antivirus, they do not seem to be the cause for this since the crash is still occurring with those disabled.

I also followed the guide in the recommended thread, however the issue still persists unfortunately. 😐 I am using the web player for now, I only encounter this issue on the desktop app. It appears to happen whenever my Mac is being used again after sleep mode.

Hey there @moterink,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you let us know which version of the app you currently have?

It would also be great if you can download Spotify from here to see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted 🙂

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

I am currently using version 1.1.54.592.gc0b20638 of the Spotify Desktop App.

I have downloaded Spotify via the given link, but unfortunately the crashes still occur.

Thank you for your continued effort!

Hey there @moterink,

Thanks for going through this troubleshooting with the team. Thought I'd jump in here to apologize for the confusion.

You're using the new M1 architecture, so the app may not perform as expected (crashing/ having connection issues), because it has not yet been released natively for the new system architecture. This is the case with multiple software packages. 

Our developer team is working on implementing this, however we don't have an official date when it's going to be fixed, so the Desktop app works on newer Mac devices.

You can head over to this Idea Thread for more info and to add your +Vote.

In the meantime we'd suggest using the web player.

Hope this info clears things up.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Are your team is working on or they are "working"? It's already more than 3 months since m1 is being released (and i even don't count that times when apple announced m1 in june), and still no native app, albeit it's not so complex app like adobe photoshop whiсh is, wow, already has a native version

I think it's because of Electron (this powers the desktop app) and it's dependencies 🙂

This might be the issue.

The app has been updated since I opened this issue, it now looks more like the web version. However, the crashes still occur frequently on my end. Usually always when waking up from sleep mode.

Has this been fixed yet? I have the exact same issue here. Spotify is crashing dozens of times a day. Pretty annoying..

Hey @allesannie

Thanks for posting on the Community about this. 

Could you confirm if this persists after a clean reinstall of Spotify on your device? This will remove corrupted data that could possibly cause the issue. 

If you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

I'm also having random crashes. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with sleep, it just happens randomly, often right away when I open it, but sometimes at random moments when it's just running in the background.

Hey @NoriMori

Thanks for posting on the Community about this.  

It's a good idea to check if you still observe this after running a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. This will clean up corrupted cache that might be causing the issue. 

If it persists after the clean reinstall, check the hosts file on your PC for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Hope this helps. Keep us in the loop here.  

@moterink I am so sorry at how you have been treated by the Spotify corporation, which has still not followed up on your problem 3 months after you posted it. It is not fair, they do not respect you as a paid customer.

Keep an eye out for possible class action lawsuits (or consider starting one):
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-Apple-Silicon-Class-Action-Lawsuit/td-p/5223639

Hey everyone,

Spotify has posted an update about M1 Mac support here:
M1 Mac support is now in beta 

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hi everyone,

We have been working hard backstage on this and are happy to announce that we now have a Beta version of our app available. It features many compatibility improvements and optimizations for the new Apple architecture.

You can download this Beta app from here. It would be great if you do so and then post feedback on your experience here.

Please note that as a Beta, some unexpected behavior might still occur. We'll use all the feedback and info we get from you to tweak and improve your Spotify experience. And if everything works great we’d love to hear that too!

To install the Beta app, double click the .dmg file and then drag the app to your Applications folder, replacing the version you may have installed now. To go back to the regular version, please download and install it from https://spotify.com/download.

We can’t wait to hear from you and learn how your experience was. Take care!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

UPDATE: Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) are now supported in the latest desktop Mac version

Spotify has posted an update about Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) support here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Desktop-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on-Ma...

"Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts