Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

Solved!

Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

crystalfortress
Casual Listener

I'm having an issue where spotify randomly pauses, including the play/pause button switching to play (different from the other forum post I found on this subject), from what I can tell at random 5 or 10 second intervals.  At first I thought that maybe it was because it was being used elsewhere (my account is occasionally used by my stepdad), but there isn't the usual blue banner at the top of the spotify window saying it's being used elsewhere.  I tried turning off hardware acceleration and it did nothing.  Really hoping that a full reinstall isn't the only option, because I have huge amounts of songs saved locally.

97 Replies

jerrry2018

I am having the same issue here. It is a little annoying to have random pauses. 

console error: https://imgur.com/a/8hRXvED
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/06/play-request-was-interrupted

kq4-0iaf_73ss

Brilliant thank you this is the only solution ( and I have tried countless) that works. Many thanks

208v-0cd_7gkt

Doesn’t work.

ize_-nwkjj8r

This is complete**bleep**

user-removed
Not applicable

Same here. It's really frustrating. 2 Laptops, 1 android phone. All devices have the issue. 

tremontem
Casual Listener

Have you found a solution to your problem? Two years later I still have issues with this exact problem. I am trying to escalate as much as possible. Turns out in order for Spotify to review community issues for app improvements, we need to generate 100 likes. I will be creating a new post in hopes for this!

Sem24901

I tried securing my account changing password etc but it wasn't enough. They had to clear out / delete my account and free up my email id so I can make a new account. I believe they can migrate your playlists if you like, but please confirm that.

The issue was spotiamb a third party app /plugin that had deep access to a lot of people's accounts. It was a winamp skin for Spotify. I don't remember installing it but it seems like something I might have done years ago in a nostalgic moment.

Spotiamb was not maintained and had poor security so hackers used it to gain deep access to a lot of accounts. 

No more starting and stopping finally!

dennisgarcia

One of the problem I've encountered has something to do with my Bluetooth speaker. It so happened that e have multiple devices connected to it. When the other device has notifications, the Spotify pauses. The solution is to disconnect the device from the Bluetooth speaker, after that it will work fine. 

iluomo
Casual Listener

For me the problem (now fixed) was that I have headphones that were paired BOTH to my phone (running Spotify) and my PC.... for me the solution was to turn my PC's bluetooth off because any alert 'ding' from my PC was overriding the connection (not in fast enough to actually hear the alert from the PC, and also causing Spotify to pause).

jerseyjess97

I signed out everywhere and I uninstalled and re-installed. Nothing worked. I have spotify premium too. It's kind of a waste if the program doesn't even function properly. Please help me figure this out!

Meowth

It didn't work >->

baverwa

This issue went away a few years ago, but is now back. I have a new phone, but Android has updated etc. I followed the steps provided in the previous solution, but to no avail. 

Anyone? 

Ironstien

The silence Is deafening on this thread from Spotify.

Primordiall

if your on discord and you see this message it makes your spotify pause after 30 seconds of your mic transmitting then you've found the issue, i thought that if i turned up the sensitivity then it would help and i could listen to spotify, but that's not the case. In order to make your spotify stop pausing i had to completely restart discord. hopefully this might be some peoples issue with it.

Mghn
Casual Listener

Solution does not work. I'm not signed in anywhere but I did this anyway but it didn't work. Spotify just keeps on stopping music in the middle of a song just randomly and the notification bar would not be in notifications so I would have go to the app to start it again. Also Spotify is never online. I have my own data and am constantly connected to wifi but yet Spotify is always offline

tremontem
Casual Listener
Do you also notice any playlists or random songs being added to your
recently played tracks?? Digging into it I found that Spotify has had a lot
of underlying security issues that don’t prevent people from hijacking
accounts. Bottom line is that I haven’t seen their support community
address this and provide a solution yet. Glad my account was shared as part
of a family plan, or else I wouldn’t be paying for the software.

Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing this issue, first please check @SpotifyStatus and/or the Ongoing Issues board to make sure there isn't a larger issue.

If it's not an ongoing issue, then we'd like to suggest a few things which seem to have worked for other users:

@musicrider27 suggested clicking on 'sign out everywhere' on your account overview page here and then logging back in.

@bombardino16 suggested updating your phone's software.

We would also like to suggest the following:

• Reinstall the app
  • Restart your device
  • Restart your router
  • Try with different WiFi networks and 3G/4G.
  • Disable Battery and Power saving mode

If that still doesn't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have an SD card it's also worth trying to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

If this happens on your computer, a good trick is to remove your hosts files.

If you use Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's been provided in there.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
SUGGESTED POSTS