Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

Solved!

Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

crystalfortress
Casual Listener

I'm having an issue where spotify randomly pauses, including the play/pause button switching to play (different from the other forum post I found on this subject), from what I can tell at random 5 or 10 second intervals.  At first I thought that maybe it was because it was being used elsewhere (my account is occasionally used by my stepdad), but there isn't the usual blue banner at the top of the spotify window saying it's being used elsewhere.  I tried turning off hardware acceleration and it did nothing.  Really hoping that a full reinstall isn't the only option, because I have huge amounts of songs saved locally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing this issue, first please check @SpotifyStatus and/or the Ongoing Issues board to make sure there isn't a larger issue.

If it's not an ongoing issue, then we'd like to suggest a few things which seem to have worked for other users:

@musicrider27 suggested clicking on 'sign out everywhere' on your account overview page here and then logging back in.

@bombardino16 suggested updating your phone's software.

We would also like to suggest the following:

• Reinstall the app
  • Restart your device
  • Restart your router
  • Try with different WiFi networks and 3G/4G.
  • Disable Battery and Power saving mode

If that still doesn't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have an SD card it's also worth trying to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

If this happens on your computer, a good trick is to remove your hosts files.

If you use Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's been provided in there.

Cheers!

97 Replies

Ncyy
Casual Listener

I have a Samsung s8 and I use apple earphones. All of the sudden whenever I used my earphones Spotify would pause or skip forward. After about a week of this happening I noticed that for some reason google assistant kept popping up randomly when I had earphones on as well. What ended up solving my problem was turning off Google voice assistant's "ok google" detection and also turn off permission for microphone in the Google app. This has worked for me so far, no more skipping or pausing.  Hope it helps some of you! 

user-removed
Not applicable
I am very thankful! This worked for me as a solution and no pausing or any lag anymore! So Apple users turn off your Siri and your Voice Assistant!

user-removed
Not applicable

I found out that on me it is because I keep getting Snapchat notifications.. seems that turning them off doesn't help..

ConorH1700

Exact same thing - sometimes other apps can set it off too. Any suggestions out there?

ozrenradic

Same here, logged out many times, changed password many times and nothing helps. It's a bug that hasn't beem fixed for over a year now. And Spotify doesn't really seem to care, since their only reaction is blaming their customers for sharing their accounts. That's pretty easy, isn't it? And I can tell you that re-installation won't help either.. already tried that too.

Soccer5

I have premium Spotify and it keeps pausing randomly and every time I get a notification it will pause the music then I will go to play it again it will pause again this is an ongoing issue that needs to be solved.

seanmatbailey

this needs to be fixed it’s **bleep**ing annoying

alvette5

I deleted the app and reinstalled the app, then I restarted (rebooted) my wife's iPhone 7 256gb at 27% battery. Turned the app back on and it's working fine. I don't know how long this will last because the problem comes back in a couple days. I'm "this" close to closing my Spotify account, it's not worth the monthly payment I'm making for this app. Total BS if you asked me. 

Nizodizo
Casual Listener
No answer for for your question but you could pick up a second hand PC for
cheap and Spotify will just as intended.

Gabisweird
Spoiler

Hi my spotify keeps pausing then when i press play after a minute or so it swipes it off the thing completely and I have to go all the way back to the app press play and it keeps doing the same thing yes i have premium so i dont know what's going on email: madisonsadler2007@gmail.com

zombebunnies

try this:

- log out of the app and only the app

- create a fake account using another email address

- log out of the app again

- log back into your original account

hope that worked; it worked for me 🙂

mrhenry77
Casual Listener

Im also having the same Problem, and I think its a Spotify-Software related problem, as this is happening to me on all my devices (ios, Win 10, Ubuntu 16.04, OSX Sierra). I already tried logging out all computers connected to the account. Not possible to play for longer than 20 seconds for me. Really annyoing 😞

Zycler

Same here. Happens on Win7, Win10 and Android 7.0 (S7 edge),

Keeps pausing randomly, keeps resuming randomly, keeps changing device randomly (mostly to Spotiamb from another device), keeps changing shuffle mode.

Kinda getting tired of this erratic behaviour.

jtaphouse4
Regular
that was on my Samsung S6 but I now have the S7 and it works fine

jeely

I believe I have the solution... 

Listenting on my Spotify Mac App it too kept cutting off and all attempts to sort (restarting, unplugging headphones etc etc) were not working.

Solution - From Go to App > Preferences > (scroll down page to ) > Local Files. In here switched off all 'Show songs from' options, (iTunes, Downloads, My Music).

So far this has appeared to fix the issue.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 15.46.46.jpg

Schreckenstein
Casual Listener

I had this problem on my windows PC, too. It started about two weeks ago. 
It happend at home and it happend at work on both PCs.

The funny thing was, it also started playing by itself, when I went away. And really strange was, that sometimes I had a song playing, I would never choose to hear. I am not sharing my spotify accoutn with anyone else.

I was connected to spotify via facebook. So I checked my facebook account and there it was. My account was used by devices in cities, I have never been. Of course I have disconneced those devices and changed my facebook password. 

So if you might have this problem of suddly pausing music, go and check your facebook account. I don't have this problem anymore.

Jaguar7676
Ok go figure Bluetooth playback had worked perfectly with my Lexus rx but I just bought a new Avalon and now it pauses randomly!!! What the **bleep**???

user-removed
Not applicable
Same thing with my Avalon. Didn't have that issue last week and now it pauses itself. Not sure what the problem is. Help!!

Shortty24
I've checked my account elsewhere and it isn't being used at work. I've tried logging out everywhere via my account online and that hasn't worked. I've even changed my password and it's still keeps pausing. Definitely no one else is using my account. It's really very annoying

wheechie
oldtrees tip also works where the same Spotify user was logged in under two different profiles on the same Android tablet. Music playback kept pausing until we logged out of Spotify in one of the tablet user accounts

Stigrs77
This problem also happens to me on Tidal, so it is not a Spotify-specific problem. Playback on Youtube works fine, though.

It happens randomly; not every day. Sometimes when I start up my PC neither Spotify nor Tidal will function as they should.

I have Windows 8.0, as I cannot update successfully to 8.1 and therefore not to 10 either.

The problem appeared for the first time this weekend or the end of last week.
SUGGESTED POSTS