Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

Solved!
Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have an SD card it's also worth trying to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

If this happens on your computer, a good trick is to remove your hosts files.

If you use Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's been provided in there.

Cheers!

Re: Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

Nizodizo
Casual Listener

It pauses and that is it,on a Chromebook. Pc works just fine.

Gabisweird
Spoiler

Hi my spotify keeps pausing then when i press play after a minute or so it swipes it off the thing completely and I have to go all the way back to the app press play and it keeps doing the same thing yes i have premium so i dont know what's going on email: madisonsadler2007@gmail.com

Spotify keeps randomly pausing

Soccer5

I have premium Spotify and it keeps pausing randomly and every time I get a notification it will pause the music then I will go to play it again it will pause again this is an ongoing issue that needs to be solved.

Re: Spotify keeps randomly pausing

Nizodizo
Casual Listener
No answer for for your question but you could pick up a second hand PC for
cheap and Spotify will just as intended.

ozrenradic

Same here, logged out many times, changed password many times and nothing helps. It's a bug that hasn't beem fixed for over a year now. And Spotify doesn't really seem to care, since their only reaction is blaming their customers for sharing their accounts. That's pretty easy, isn't it? And I can tell you that re-installation won't help either.. already tried that too.

user-removed
Not applicable

I found out that on me it is because I keep getting Snapchat notifications.. seems that turning them off doesn't help..

ConorH1700

Exact same thing - sometimes other apps can set it off too. Any suggestions out there?

Jasminego123

It didnt work for me

Ncyy
Casual Listener

I have a Samsung s8 and I use apple earphones. All of the sudden whenever I used my earphones Spotify would pause or skip forward. After about a week of this happening I noticed that for some reason google assistant kept popping up randomly when I had earphones on as well. What ended up solving my problem was turning off Google voice assistant's "ok google" detection and also turn off permission for microphone in the Google app. This has worked for me so far, no more skipping or pausing.  Hope it helps some of you! 

user-removed
Not applicable
I am very thankful! This worked for me as a solution and no pausing or any lag anymore! So Apple users turn off your Siri and your Voice Assistant!
SUGGESTED POSTS