Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

Solved!

Spotify Keeps Pausing Randomly

crystalfortress
Casual Listener

I'm having an issue where spotify randomly pauses, including the play/pause button switching to play (different from the other forum post I found on this subject), from what I can tell at random 5 or 10 second intervals.  At first I thought that maybe it was because it was being used elsewhere (my account is occasionally used by my stepdad), but there isn't the usual blue banner at the top of the spotify window saying it's being used elsewhere.  I tried turning off hardware acceleration and it did nothing.  Really hoping that a full reinstall isn't the only option, because I have huge amounts of songs saved locally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing this issue, first please check @SpotifyStatus and/or the Ongoing Issues board to make sure there isn't a larger issue.

If it's not an ongoing issue, then we'd like to suggest a few things which seem to have worked for other users:

@musicrider27 suggested clicking on 'sign out everywhere' on your account overview page here and then logging back in.

@bombardino16 suggested updating your phone's software.

We would also like to suggest the following:

• Reinstall the app
  • Restart your device
  • Restart your router
  • Try with different WiFi networks and 3G/4G.
  • Disable Battery and Power saving mode

If that still doesn't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

PeterModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have an SD card it's also worth trying to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

If this happens on your computer, a good trick is to remove your hosts files.

If you use Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's been provided in there.

Cheers!

97 Replies
Solution!

Peter

Hey folks,

If you're experiencing this issue, first please check @SpotifyStatus and/or the Ongoing Issues board to make sure there isn't a larger issue.

If it's not an ongoing issue, then we'd like to suggest a few things which seem to have worked for other users:

@musicrider27 suggested clicking on 'sign out everywhere' on your account overview page here and then logging back in.

@bombardino16 suggested updating your phone's software.

We would also like to suggest the following:

• Reinstall the app
  • Restart your device
  • Restart your router
  • Try with different WiFi networks and 3G/4G.
  • Disable Battery and Power saving mode

If that still doesn't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

PeterModerator

View solution in original post

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If you have an SD card it's also worth trying to uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

If this happens on your computer, a good trick is to remove your hosts files.

If you use Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you head over to this article and follow the steps that's been provided in there.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Primordiall

if your on discord and you see this message it makes your spotify pause after 30 seconds of your mic transmitting then you've found the issue, i thought that if i turned up the sensitivity then it would help and i could listen to spotify, but that's not the case. In order to make your spotify stop pausing i had to completely restart discord. hopefully this might be some peoples issue with it.

baverwa

This issue went away a few years ago, but is now back. I have a new phone, but Android has updated etc. I followed the steps provided in the previous solution, but to no avail. 

Anyone? 

Ironstien

The silence Is deafening on this thread from Spotify.

iluomo
Casual Listener

For me the problem (now fixed) was that I have headphones that were paired BOTH to my phone (running Spotify) and my PC.... for me the solution was to turn my PC's bluetooth off because any alert 'ding' from my PC was overriding the connection (not in fast enough to actually hear the alert from the PC, and also causing Spotify to pause).

dennisgarcia

One of the problem I've encountered has something to do with my Bluetooth speaker. It so happened that e have multiple devices connected to it. When the other device has notifications, the Spotify pauses. The solution is to disconnect the device from the Bluetooth speaker, after that it will work fine. 

jerrry2018

I am having the same issue here. It is a little annoying to have random pauses. 

console error: https://imgur.com/a/8hRXvED
https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/06/play-request-was-interrupted

b4in

If all other solutions don't work, you can try turning battery optimization off, this was my problem. On Xioami phones there's automatically battery optimization which stops the app from running in the backgroud.

Super guide:

[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues

slaskin

I have a similar issue. My Spotify on my Mac cuts off after playing some songs for 3 minutes exactly. I have tried quitting and reopening but no luck. 

Sammy_wolf
Casual Listener

I have an HTC 10. I have been trying to solve the issue of my music pausing. It paused when I had premium and even after not having premium it pauses. I have tried everything the site has said to do. no matter what I have tried it continues to pause at random times and completely close. Been dealing with this for over a year .

jtaphouse4
Regular
When i got the Samsung s7 it stopped doing this

PotNoodle
Regular
Very happy for you

mynamewastolen
Casual Listener

Happening for me in both Edge and Firefox. It's been going on a couple of weeks.

silvermoonfire
Casual Listener

I have tried every single trick in this forum and nothing has worked. I have an iPhone SE that's less than a year old and I've only had this app for about eight months. I've tried personal troubleshooting, deleting and reinstalling the app, app refresh, and still nothing. I am extremely frustrated with Spotify right now and judging from the responses in this thread, Spotify doesn't care much for the portion of their consumer base who keeps experiencing these problems. If Spotify refuses to fix these problems, I will be deleting this app and never using it again. Are there any other tips that anyone has for fixing this on Apple products? I'd rather not delete the app, but if this keeps happening, I'm not putting up with it.

rostasi
Gig Goer

I'd suggest looking for older versions of the app

and just trying your luck if Spotify means that

much to you. I've tried this and had some success,

but, really? Is this the kind of thing you want to

have to deal with regularly? Not me. YMMV.

rostasi
Gig Goer

Just wanted to say that I have this problem too.

It's been going on for a long time and it's one of

many problems that keep me from subscribing.

It does this even when I just run it without any

other **bleep** software running that may cause

problems - right after booting up the Mac and

it's still a pain in the **bleep**.

If the music ever returns to play, then the screen

goes black and then I really can't do anything!

If the screen does show song/playlist info, the top

of the screen where the main info is supposed to be

(playlist name, "PLAY" and "FOLLOWING" buttons, etc)

is black. Sure is puzzling why this service is so popular.

Two attachments: one with missing info on top

("Discover Weekly") and, the second being the

black page mentioned earlier.

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 11.01.21.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 10.58.33.png

subwubwave
Casual Listener

I have a new fix, if you've recently connected your spotify to your discord then disconect it. It worked for me and a few other people so far.

JP311

Izzykordo

I did this and it still won’t stop pausing, it seems to stop every time I get a Snapchat or go on snapchat

SUGGESTED POSTS