Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

Solved!

Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

Premium Account

USA

Mac OS Mojave 

Seems like Spotify keeps pushing this issue aside because not enough people are complaining about it. I've actually seen a good amount of posts on the community boards about it but none of them seem to have gained traction with the powers that be, claiming its a non-issue and the post gets closed. I disagree, wholeheartedly.

Please bring this option back! I don't use the web player... ever. And, I don't want to now have to start copying and pasting the link into spotify app. Call me lazy. The advanced settings used to have the option to have links open in the desktop app. But that option has recently disappeared. Seems like a very obvious and useful feature, and just strange to suddenly remove that functionality. 

My friends and I are always trading spotify links via text and emails and it's incredibly frustrating that it now doesn't automatically open in the desktop app like it used to. If I say pretty please, with a link to cherry on top, would you consider this a legitimate issue? 

Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

Just to clarify, users can still share their favorite Spotify tunes in such a way that the recipient has the option to choose whether or not to open them in the app. This is done when content is shared via the Spotify URI. This page explains how to find and share the URI.

If you'd like to have this option also for Spotify links, it's a good idea to +VOTE this idea and  subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

61 Replies

Go in browser to chrome://settings/content/all?searchSubpage=spotify and remove spotify. Open spotify app, play a song (this is one time thing)  then click a link with a song on facebook for example and it will open in the app and all other links also.

Ah, narrowed it down to one setting I thinkScreenshot 2022-11-01 at 10.59.16.png. Go to: chrome://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https://open.spotify.com and set Device use to allow. This should fix it.

Hi, I'm facing this problem too! I'm outraged that my friends are constantly sending me links to songs in Spotify and they are ALWAYS opening in a WEB PLAYER. Why do I need a web player if I have the app? Are you all right with your head?

Suggested posts