Announcements

Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

Solved!
Mihail

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

Just to clarify, users can still share their favorite Spotify tunes in such a way that the recipient has the option to choose whether or not to open them in the app. This is done when content is shared via the Spotify URI. This page explains how to find and share the URI.

If you'd like to have this option also for Spotify links, it's a good idea to +VOTE this idea and  subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll inform on any developments there, as soon as there are any. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Re: Spotify Links "open.spotify" don't open in Desktop App OSX/Mac anymore

lvoostrum
Visitor

This is not a solution to be honest. 

The fact that people are installing an extension and posting multiple topics should be a sign for Spotify to implement a change.
Also a reason why not, instead of 'this is now expected behaviour' can be helpful to remove some frustration.

aster17
Visitor

Hi Mihail

So i find that if I click on a url of the form: 
spotify://https://open.spotify.com/track/4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k?si=MCIg4CK_RYCM-jd5QBi35A

The desktop app opens and it works as expected.

On the other hand if I click on one of the form:
spotify://spotify:track:4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k

I get a prompt asking whether I want to open the link in the desktop app and it opens but does NOT navigate to the page for the track. It simply opens the app  (or brings it into focus if it is already open).

Mihail

Hey @aster17,

Thanks for reaching out.

The Spotify URI should bring up the respective song in the app. If you're still experiencing this issue, could you try logging out and back in to your account two times in a row? This prompts a resync with our servers. If that doesn't fix things, it's possible that some of the app files have gotten damaged. This is usually resolved by performing a clean reinstall using these steps. They are more thorough and make sure that no leftover files remain.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

MihailModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” - Keith Richards

shto
Casual Listener

It's supposed to look like this:

spotify://track/4effTONLQxmg77cBEqPl8k

Hope this helps.

rg38j_-1iftpm
Casual Listener
Has this been sorted yet - it's so **bleep** stupid it astounds me.

rg38j_-1iftpm
Casual Listener
Fun fact Peter - not a solution.

johnnybenson
How is this response a "solution" ?

ozgehan

This is NOT solved at all. How do I complain? How do I vote? We need more people as Spotify keeps getting updates for silly stuff all the time but not this. I just hate the web version of Spotify. 

hello320155
Casual Listener

The absolute state of Spotify lol

The arrogance and incompetence is astounding at times. They never fix anything that's actually relevant and they remove useful features. I wonder what goes on at planning meetings at Spotify HQ. Probably something like the Swedish chef from Muppet Show (for anyone old enough to remember)

jk1230

This is lame, but I understand that if someone sends a URL, MacOS will launch the default browser. So my hack for this is to create an Automator Service that is called "Launch in Spotify", and receive URLs, Input is only URLs, and I select Messages.app because this is really the time I get spotify URLs, but you could make it "All". I send the input to Javascript function, then a Shell script to make it easy to do. Drag and drop those from the Library on the left.

The scripts are:

Run Javascript

function run(input, parameters) {

var inputText = input[0];

return inputText.replace("https://open.spotify.com/","spotify://");

}

then run Shell Script: (Shell is /bin/bash but any shell should work), Input "as arguments"

open $1

Save it as "Launch in Spotify"

Go to Messages.app to any URL, then Right Click on it, Select "Launch from Spotify" and it'll now launch into Spotify.

SUGGESTED POSTS