Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify WILL NOT Stop Showing Local Files, Even After Disabling & Deleting local-files.bnk

Spotify WILL NOT Stop Showing Local Files, Even After Disabling & Deleting local-files.bnk

Device

16" MacBook Pro (Late 2019)

Operating System

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287)

No matter what I try, my Spotify desktop app (version 1.1.32.618.gda5638a6) will not stop showing & scanning for local files.

• I have already turned off local files in settings.
  • I have already manually deleted local-files.bnk from /Users/(my username)/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/(my username)/
  • I have already uninstalled Spotify, deleted ALL caches, then reinstalled Spotify

I've done all of this, and the app doesn't take the hint. Spotify still keeps showing local files from my Apple Music Library and random, unorganized audio files sitting on my computer.

18 Replies

Hey there @localfiles!

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Community!

Could you let us know if you see the Local files songs in your playlists or only in Liked Songs in Your Library?

It'd be great if you could let us know your Spotify version and send us a screenshot of where you see the local songs on the app.

We'll be happy to investigate further. Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't have any local files in my playlists or in my liked songs. They start appearing when I use the search feature. My settings should be preventing Spotify from seeing these locally stored files.

I noticed this has been happening since 1.1.32 to 1.1.34 desktop windows 10 so far too.

Windows keeps seeing it and tries to block it. This sort of tactic can be viewed as ransomware btw and very privacy intrusive. Fix your app Spotify!

I just got version 1.1.35 in windows store. If I see this behavior I will reply again.  This issue really intrusive.

1.1.35 its been 4 days and hasn't done it anymore. So I want to thank spotify for fixing that. But if it comes back I will post again!

It still does this in PC. I have to manually turn on local files and then uncheck download folder and music folder to get rid of it. The fact that this is turned on and hidden by default is WRONG! 1.1.35 Windows 10 store version

Hey @ParentalControl,

Thanks for reaching out and voicing your concerns.

If you have never used the feature to import local files, this option in the settings should be tuned off by default. In that case there is no search for importable files going on and that's why no folders are shown in the menu with the option off. Just to make sure that we're on the same page- you did manage to deactivate Show Local Files and now everything functions as intended, right? 

If that's not the case, it's a good idea to perform a clean reinstall of the app. This way if some of the files have gotten corrupted and are causing such behavior, they can get compiled anew. You can learn how to do this here

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

@Mihail Yes I had to turn on the local folders feature and toggle "off" the individual folders then turn off local folders again and it seems to ignore the folder when you use search now.

You wrote that:

• I have already manually deleted local-files.bnk from /Users/(my username)/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/(my username)/

But did you remove the whole Spotify folder in Application Support?

If not then try once more by following all the steps in https://support.spotify.com/ee/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/

@Mihail OK so I first with windows 10 store version, I uninstalled the app. Rebooted. Then I Installed back from windows store and yes it's fixed. Spotify desktop app doesn't automatically show local files and by default the the setting is off. It's seems it's finally fixed. I'm using 1.1.42.622.gbd112320 (Microsoft Store version)

Hi Elena,

I've come across with the similar problem with my Spotify macOS app. The deleted songs keep showing in the Liked Songs and I cannot unlike them. Click on heart bottom and it comes out nothing. The songs are definitely deleted, and I even formatted the whole hard disk and reinstalled macOS. The problem is still there. FYI, there is nothing in the Liked Songs in the iOS Spotify app.

Hey @ParentalControl,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy that now the app functions as intended. Do let us know if this issue comes up again 🙂

@user-removed have you tried deleting the playlists that used to contain the imported song? It would help us out a lot if you could post a photo of how the song are displayed in the macOS app. Just be sure to hide any private or sensitive information.

Could you also make sure that on you are logged into the same account on your smartphone and on your mac? You can do this by logging out and back in to the Spotify app.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail, here's the screenshot of macOS app. It's in the liked songs page. The songs cannot be unliked and unable to play. And also, I've deleted all playlists.

1601122752101.jpg

I'm quite sure I use the same account on iPhone. Btw, it's because Spotify keep noticing me it cannot synchronize my local songs, I found out this "can't delete" problem.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back to us with the screenshot.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - you did try a clean reinstall, right? If that's the case it might be useful to also check your hosts file for Spotify entries. You can do this the following way:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return

2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop

3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 

4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address

5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them

6. Save your changes and restart your System and then start Spotify

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mihail Moderator

Hi, Mihail

I’ve followed your steps and found out nothing related to Spotify was in the host file.

Just for sure, I did a clean reinstall again and the grey songs are still there in the liked songs.

Hi @Mihail 

An update on my problem: I've tried on a PC spotify software, and it also shows unable local songs. The songs cannot be deleted either. However, this is the first time I log in under the Windows environment and of course, there isn't any local songs files on this PC.

WeChat 圖片_20201005103320.png

On PC try the Del button or on Mac try Fn+Backspace. 

Hi @AeroZ

It works! Thank you for your sincere help!

This really help me deleting the unable songs.

Suggested posts