Announcements

Spotify Won't play local files!

Solved!

Spotify Won't play local files!

gfahey

OK, it's getting to the point where I am about to cancel my account. 

I add files to Spotify (I have the folder selected as a source in preferences) and when I go to play it, I get the;

"This track was added as a local file. If you have the file on your computer, you can import it."

Local file source is checked. I us mostly mp4 files which have always played fine. Also, this problem has only surcaed recently and Spotify will play the other files I have added previously. Seems the files I have added the past 2 weeks won't play. The "greyed out" files won't play recently but, the "bold" ones do. 

I have tried everything.  Mac OSX 10.7.3

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

barnes_badger

Unclick all the local file options - and itunes local files now play.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Peter__

@denise15 - Does downloading the media feature pack for windows N series make any difference?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2703761 - Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968211 - Windows 7

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

55 Replies

Munq

I am having this problem as well, except tracks which I have on my computer and which I have listened to for months have become unavailable in the past few weeks.  I'll select a track and it will say "Error file not found" but when I right click and reveal in finder the track is sitting right where I left it.  They play just fine in other platforms.

gfahey

Looks like Spotify doesn't care about my business. At least give me a reply. 

I pay for 2 Premium accounts (family member) and I am going to have to reconsider whether to pay for them now. I value customer service and Spotify seems to ignore a lot of the issues here people have brought up. I'm not some whiny guy either. I can deal with issues here and there but, to me, this is a biggie. If Spotify thinks it isn't to them then I'll cancel. 

There are a lot of folks with this same issue. My daughter (that I pay for) has it as well. 

Come on Spotify, show us you at least heard me and care about me as a customer as well as Mung.

You silence is telling.

coconuthalf

I came here looking for an answer because I was also having problems playing my local files. You may not have the same problem as me, but I realized the files that weren't playing were in m4a format. I found in another thread the suggestion that though Spotify claims to support this format, it won't play it without Quicktime installed. I had iTunes installed, which played these files just fine, but they didn't play in Spotify until I also installed Quicktime. I hope this helps someone.

MargotDarko

I am having the same problem as well. Downloading Quicktime did not work for me. Another solution mentioned is to delete the files from your local files playlist. That worked for me at first, but the files returned to the local playlist once I closed and reopened Spotify on my desktop.

Here is what seems to be working for me now - Delete the songs that won't play from the Spotify local files list. Under Spotify preferences, I have it set to only find local music in iTunes. Then whatever album isn't playing, I go into the iTunes folder on Finder and move it to another folder outside of iTunes. That way it doesn't reload to the Spotify local files list but is still saved on my computer.

Thankfully all the songs that aren't playing for me are available on Spotify. Not sure what the solution would be to listen to local files with the Spotify app that weren't available on Spotify as well.

csteele31694

Spotify cannot play AAC files. Not sure of other 'unplayable' formats.

_mynameisdrew

Your right! Install quicktime and they play fine.

gfahey

I have a Mac. 

Mac OSX 10.7.4 has Quicktime installed. You try and install it manually and you cannot. 

Someone explain to me how to "install Quicktime" on OSX 10.7.4 and provide a link and instructions as to how to do it. 

Does anyone at Spotify actually know how to do this? 

3 months now. No answer from Spotify and if they give one, it's vague. Very disappointed that I can't play most of my music. 

redtbone

If u right click the fie that wont play and select unlink track it sould fix the problem. 

gfahey

This is on a Mac. You know that right?

Right clicking on it gives no such option. Spotify could care less about this, that's becoming quite clear to me. 

agurley

Hello, I was having this problem too, but it was an easy fix. All I did was went to Edit > Preferences > and scrolled down to where it said Local Files and unchecked all the programs under it...problem solved! 🙂

Goodman

Could you:

• copy some of the tracks that won't play to your desktop
  • under preferences, add desktop as source
  • try playing them now
Community Ergo Sum

culblu

Quicktime worked for me

What I did specifically:
1) Installed Quicktime (just upgraded pc, so that was necessary)

2) Opend Quicktime

-An option showed up that asked if I wanted to reassociate some files that use to be under Quicktime association

-I checked yes to this option

3) Opened spotify

4) my local tracks ran perfectly fine
-----------------------------------------------------------------

After taking a closer look into the settings on Quicktime, I noticed something strange. The files type of my local tracks is MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a), and according to the steps that I took to get my music running on Spotify, it would appear that Quicktime should now be running my .m4a files insted of my Windows Media Player (WMP)... but that is not the case.

All of my .m4a files are still being handled by WMP, and it looks like Quicktime just tookover as the primary program of running various file types.  This is strange indeed, but none the less, Having Quicktime installed and setting it to automatically handel those "various file types" seems to have done the trick.

This leads me to believe tha Spotify must have both WMP and Quicktime (or maybe just Quicktime) installed to allow it to run your local music files, but that's just my best guess

Hope this helps

-CulBlu, Premimum user since 08/2011

FrenchyFries

Right Click the the song that won't open, click open containing folder and delete the song, that worked for me.

D4ffPower

I kionda got the same problem too. I've added 4 mp3 files today. None of them will play, the already excisting files, no problem. I can add the new ones to a playlist, and play them on my phone,  without any trouble at all. I tried moving the files to another location, and adding the new location to Spotify, but it's the same deal. Did it just deicde that newly added mp3's are no-go? 

gfahey

Dear God this is frustrating!

You do realize this is the MAC part of the forums right? 

gfahey

Well, wouldn't you know that worked but, it's a useless solution to me. I'm talking a lot of GB's of files that I don't have room for on my desktop. BTW, these are all m4a files which are Apple Lossless. They are NOT AAC files which are iTunes purchased files.

So, now that this is apparently do-able considering it can play them (albeit on the desktop) what can be done about it?

PerBonomi, I give you credit for at least coming up with something! Thanks man. Now let's get this fixed!

Hey there!

Supported music files, you can import into Spotify: .mp3. File types like .m4v, .m4r, .mov, .3g2, .m4a, .mp4, .3gp and .m4p are or may be usually protected by iTunes. Spotify can't play them, but will try to match them to a corresponding Spotify track.

Cheers.

gfahey

This is thr MAC forum but, regardless, the m4a files Spotify won't play are CD rips to FLAC and then converted to Apple Lossless. These same m4a files play on every other OSX audio player that will play these files. 

These are NOT protected by iTunes files. 

Goodman

@gfahey wrote:

Well, wouldn't you know that worked but, it's a useless solution to me. I'm talking a lot of GB's of files that I don't have room for on my desktop. BTW, these are all m4a files which are Apple Lossless. They are NOT AAC files which are iTunes purchased files.

So, now that this is apparently do-able considering it can play them (albeit on the desktop) what can be done about it?

PerBonomi, I give you credit for at least coming up with something! Thanks man. Now let's get this fixed!

Fair enough 😉 I was mainly just trying to find out if playing a file that is not on an external drive, or a secondary harddisk/partition would work.

Since it did work, perhaps we can home in on the problem being where the files are stored. I.e. first harddisk, but second partition; second harddisk; external USB/FireWire drive or Network drive.

Community Ergo Sum

Suggested posts

Env: prod