Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

'Spotify cannot open files in the "MP3 audio" format.' ERM SINCE WHEN?!

'Spotify cannot open files in the "MP3 audio" format.' ERM SINCE WHEN?!

So i've just updated my spotify and i tried to play one of my local tracks on spotify and i got that error message...

I then tried on EVERY local track and i got the same message.

Songs that are already synced WORK... but if i try and play new song to my computer from the finder (double click/open with Spotify)  i get this error message.

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 14.26.21.png

Please help / advise / UPDATE AGAIN.. thank you 🙂 

Mainey

22 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

Try dragging and dropping the files into a Spotify playlist then playing them from the Spotify client rather than from explorer.

What OS and Spotify version is this?

If the above doesn't work, have you tried a quick Clean reinstallation of Spotify?

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Hi Anthony,

The above didnt work.. 

OS is 10.10.2

Spotify is 1.0.1.988.g8f17a348

If i tried a clean reinstall.. will that mess with my playlists etc??? 

Let me know and thanks for the prompt reply.

Mainey

Hey Maney,

Can you try the following?

1. Open Spotify
  2. Click Edit
  3. Click Preferences
  4. Then at the "Local Files" part, click Add a source
  5. Select the location where you stored the local files

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Kind regards,
Felix

-- Please mark as solution and/or add kudos if it helped you --

@Maney wrote:

Hi Anthony,

The above didnt work.. 

OS is 10.10.2

Spotify is 1.0.1.988.g8f17a348

If i tried a clean reinstall.. will that mess with my playlists etc??? 

Let me know and thanks for the prompt reply.

Mainey

A clean reinstall won't mess with your playlists, as they're stored in the cloud.

You're on the 1.0.x version of Spotify then, I'm not. Try uninstalling Spotify then reinstalling it from this link. That should be the 0.x version. Can that play your local files? Just trying to figure out if it's the new version of Spotify or the files themselves.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

I updated Spotify to 1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd and now I can't add local files.

I've tried the solutions on this thread and others and nothing will resolve the issue.

I have gotten the error message: Spotify cannot open files in the MP3 audio format.

Same problem here. this is terrible, if I can integrate my local files, Spotify is useless to me. I'm using Mac, never had issues before the last update

Please fix this!  Spotify is hardly worth using if I can't listen to my local files.  What kind of media player can't open .mp3's?  Every update breaks things, I'm seriously about to cancel my subscription.

I updated my OS to Yosemite and it fixed the problem.

I still cannot drag and drop.

BUT I can see the audio files in LOCAL FILES and am able to import and play them 

but not drag and drop

Sorry for not responding guys!!!

I found a 'fix'...

The reason why i bolded, underlined and made italic is because its not a fix. 

I managed to establish that it wasnt the files that were corrupt (i knew this already anyways as they would play in itunes/finder)

Luckily i still had an old spotify installer, which would install an older version of spotify and as soo nas i did that, everything worked. Unfortunately spotify has the stupid 'if you close me i will update you' feature, so its a case of never turning off your mac etc... which is hard when you have mac installations which require a restart etc.

bottom line, new version of spotify if dodgy, needs an update ASAP as i dont want to keep having to delete and install the old spotify just to be able to play new local files, lets not forget, files that were already played inside of spotify before the update would still work, its just getting new ones into the library. 

ALSO:

another annoying thing i found with the new update when it comes to local files, is now not having the ability to change the 'info' of the song. You used to be able to right click and select edit info and now that option has dissappeared which is annoying for people who don't want their local files looking like the file name.

I hope this has helped, it probably hasn't but it definitely will make you aware that the new spotify is dodgy AF 

Thanks guys 

M

Same problem here.

No solution so far but reverting to an old version. 0.9.5 version works fine with local MP3 files.

( How to revert to and old version ? Mac OS at bottom -> http://supraliminal.net/blog/2013/4/21/how-to-revert-back-to-the-older-better-spotify-client )

This solved the problem for me.

Having the same issue on mac. Says that it won't play .mp3 files. Please fix this spotify, I'd rather not find another music service.

The fix above isn't working for me, says there's an error when i try to install a previous version.

Yeah, thats the solution that i have too, but whats the trick to stop it from updating if you close it? 

Still no real solution to this????????????

BUMP

How is this still unfixed? Come on already.

For the lova Gad! Fix this please Spotify !!

officially leaving spotify. can't even let us upload our own local songs?  you guys get worse and worse with each update. 

Suggested posts