Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify chokes on MASSIVE local files collection

Spotify chokes on MASSIVE local files collection

I'm new to Spotify, so please forgive if this an obvious question or has already been beaten to death...

I have a huge collection of music files (+/- 350gb).

I've been trying to import them into Spotify as 'local files' (they're on my desktop).

BUT

When I try to play them, the app gets slower and less responsive and eventually just stalls out.

My guess is that I've given it WAY too much to handle in one gulp... It DOES create a listing that covers all the songs, but any attempt to navigate through it stalls out.

I've tried creating a playlist and dragging all my files into it (a solution I found online), but I can't seem to select multiple files. Obviously moving them one at a time isn't practical.

Any help? Am I asking too much from the app? If it helps I'm on an old-ish iMac...

THANKS!

1 Reply

Hi there @The_Kneeknocker,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Although there isn't a set limit to the number of files that can be imported to Spotify, having a very large number of local files can have an impact on the app's performance.

On another note, you can select multiple songs using the keys Cmd + A, or a section of songs by clicking on one song, pressing Shift, and then clicking on another song - all the songs within the first and the last one will be selected.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts