Spotify created a bunch of mostly empty folders on my external drive, now what?

Solved!

Spotify created a bunch of mostly empty folders on my external drive, now what?

z2000z
Regular

I installed Spotify on my new iMac. Worked fine.

Today, I went to my external hard drive (where I keep all my documents) and, it was oddly full of folders that had two digit names. s8, f7, aN, etc. My files were there and, fine. Just all these moslty empty folders. A few had one file that was alds giberish but longer like lhfosi7693nksidh07203hd.file
After a call and a failed disk repair, Apple Care technician diagnosed it as a corrupt drive. I concured. So I was ready to pay hundreds of dollars to replace it.

As I went to eject it (to be safe until a new one is bought), a dialog box popped up. Said something like Spotify is using the drive, cannot eject.
Oh! so maybe all those files are some junk Spotify is making?! Sure enough, I quit Spotify and rand Disk Utillity, twice. Drive is perfectly fine!
So… 

A) What are these files?
B) Can I trash them or move them?
C) If Spotify on OSX makes this junk, how do I tell it where to stick it? Just, not on the drive but, in a folder of thier own, would make much more sense!
D) Is this normal? 

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify created a bunch of mostly empty folders on my external drive, now what?

phan_times
Community Legend
Hello @z2000z,

Those folders are the cache and saved downloads on Spotify. These files are unique and coded to Spotify music so you cant download songs to your computer off of Spotify. If you delete these files all you will do is clear the cache on your Spotify. Hope this helps.

If this was the solution please click Accept Solution

View solution in original post

Solution!

Re: Spotify created a bunch of mostly empty folders on my external drive, now what?

z2000z
Regular

You have to go to prefs and then down one more level in advanced to choose cache location. I did this when I first installed it but, Spotify fogot to put a "make new folder" button (or whatever it is called) on the relocate cache dialog box! I assumed, it would make one of its own (like all other programs do). Nope. You have to first go to the Finder and make a folder on the drive you want the cache to be moved/kept at. If you don't, Spotify just keeps dumping all the cache folders all over the drive you pick. Making this mess.
A nice thing it does do is when you have made a dedicated folder, it moves the junk into it. But you have to do a restart and go have a bathroom break after you reopen Spotify on MacOS

4 Replies
Solution!

phan_times
Community Legend
Hello @z2000z,

Those folders are the cache and saved downloads on Spotify. These files are unique and coded to Spotify music so you cant download songs to your computer off of Spotify. If you delete these files all you will do is clear the cache on your Spotify. Hope this helps.

If this was the solution please click Accept Solution

z2000z
Regular

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Now, where and how can I relocated these? Would just like them in a folder on that external so, they are not "poluting" the window with the files on that drive.
Like in a folder called "Spotify junk".
Also, how did these end up on on the drive and not in a folder Spotify made?

Solution!

z2000z
Regular

You have to go to prefs and then down one more level in advanced to choose cache location. I did this when I first installed it but, Spotify fogot to put a "make new folder" button (or whatever it is called) on the relocate cache dialog box! I assumed, it would make one of its own (like all other programs do). Nope. You have to first go to the Finder and make a folder on the drive you want the cache to be moved/kept at. If you don't, Spotify just keeps dumping all the cache folders all over the drive you pick. Making this mess.
A nice thing it does do is when you have made a dedicated folder, it moves the junk into it. But you have to do a restart and go have a bathroom break after you reopen Spotify on MacOS

Highlighted

Hannah122
Visitor

So, I have the same problem but after I delete them they come back again. I don't know what to do so can you help maybe?

SUGGESTED POSTS