Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify for Mac OS X won't open/takes too long to open

Spotify for Mac OS X won't open/takes too long to open

When I try and start up the spotify program for OS X, I get the login box, but then the spinning wheel freezes and mousing over the login box changes my cursor to the spinning pinwheel symbol. Sometimes, the program does open after a disturbingly long while, but at the moment, it's not opening at all. And before anyone answers, no, uninstalling and reinstalling the program hasn't had any effect on it. Can anyone offer a solution?

6 Replies

I've been having this same issue, where it's getting to take even longer and longer to open. If it seems to be stuck on initializing, I usually let it go for twenty minutes and then it opens but it's not usable for another five to ten minutes. At a half hour I force quit it if I haven't at least gotten past "initializing." 20 min is long enough about 80% of the time though.

And before someone jumps in to suggest it, yes, I have also tried reinstalling. On BOTH my windows and mac machines. Same thing on both of them. A twenty to thirty minute launch time is really, really not acceptable -- and I assume most people won't wait that long and that's why they think it's just not starting at all. I've had this problem since since the first of the 0.8.8 updates. When did you start having trouble with it Akri?

Same problem as "Laser Love Akri",  Except I don't have the patience to see how long it takes to load.  Easily more than 10 mins.  PLEASE HELP!!!

What version of Spotify and Mac OS X are you using? Do you have a large local file library?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same issue here. Player loads part way, then stops responding. Have tried deleting and reinstalling, but no luck. 

Running latest version of Spotify w/ Mavericks (latest), do not have a large local library.

I'm having the same problem. It's getting pretty frustrating considering I'm paying for something I can't even use. Any solutions? I tried re-installing as well, and I'm running OSX Mavericks. 

Still having issues... if I perform a clean re-install (deleting all app support and cache folders) it works on startup once. Then if I quit the program I have to do a clean install all over again. Getting very frustrating. 

Suggested posts