Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

mine keeps freezing while shuffling my playlists.. it will play about 3 or 4 songs then freeze up.. the only way to get it to work again is to force quit the program and start again..but then the  problem will happen again.. it doesnt seem to happen if i play a whole album insted of shuffling my play lists..

Description

For me it seems to be somehow related to playback of local files.

Streams work fine but when playing local files client freezes after each played song.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Turning off Gapless playback didn't help at all.

Description

I have to admit that I'm not 100% on this, but I think Spotify is actually crashing my entire computer, not just the program itself. its happened at least 5 6 times in the last two days where I've had the program open and running but not necessarily playing any music,  and my entire computer has just frozen up and become unresponsive. Its happened both when I've been actively using the computer and when its been in sleep mode, and only began after my last software update. Yesterday I tried keeping the program closed most of the day and had no trouble, but when I used it later in the day and left it running it crashed again. (Actually just happened again as I was typing this - thank goodness for Chrome auto-recover.) It could be coincidence but I somehow don't think so, given the issues others are reporting.

OSX Version

Power Mac OS X version 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

haven't tried much because the crashes are adversley affecting my work day and I can't devote a lot of time to troubleshooting. 

I see that a solution seems to have been found for the program crashes, so I guess I'll try it out and see if it solves my problem as well, but since I haven't come across any other reports of the same issue (admittedly without checking every reply on this thread) I figure I ought to put it out there. Will update if disabling local files helps.

Oh thank goodness, someone else who's having their entire computer freeze - i thought it was just me and was worried something else might be causing it, but now I'm even more sure its Spotify.

Just an update to my previous report that disabling local files does not help. It may have taken a bit longer to freeze up, but eventually it still did and I had to hard reset my entire computer just like every time previous. And I can't say for sure on the time thing, because there hasn't been any sort of pattern I could recognize so far. Uninstalling and downloading the most recent release did not help either.

The program is pretty much un-usable to me at this point on my work desktop, which is where I primarily use it; since I'm paying for premium I'm getting pretty frustrated. Will try to be patient and wait for a fix but if I'm still having this problem by the time the billing cycle comes around again I might have to cancel. I adore this service and have done nothing but sing its praises since it launched in the US, and I'll be really, REALLY disappointed if I can't use it anymore 😞

Description

All of the time.  I go to start a random playlist, and it crashes part way through the first or second song. I haven't been able to listen to ANY desktop music since the update.

OSX Version

Mackbook Pro using OSX 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

Nothing, and I am not even getting a crash report option to send you people. I kinda want my money back.

Marked as solution

Just installed the new 0.8.4.93. Seems like the local file playback issue is resolved.

Never had the problem with streamed songs and with brief testing it seems I can

play consecutive local files without freezing.

Ok, I reported this bug on the first page of this thread. Turns out I still have a problem. As someone else said, it MIGHT be associated with local files, but not sure.

Description

Spotify crashes as soon as I play a song. The music bar freezes at 0:02 but the music will keep playing. The rest of the program is unresponsive. Music will quit playing after about the 3rd song. Application does not become responsive again.

OSX Version

Did a reinstall help?

I did a reinstall via App Cleaner, but it did not help.

Nope. I tried deleting apps, omitting loading of local files, all to no different effect.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

No screenshots and no error messages. Activity Monitor just says Spotify is "Not Responding".

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Yes! It's been happening to me as well.

I *think* it seems to be happening after a song from my local files (itunes) plays on a playlist. 

Description

Since updating to version 0.8.4.

It freezes at the moment it needs to start the next song. So most of the time I can only play 1 song. Somtimes 2 or 3.

OSX Version

Macbook unibody running OS X 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No. Cleared the cache also. No help.

Turning off gapless playing improves things indeed.

Turning off local files as someone suggested is not a solution. This need to work. Most of my music still comes from iTunes.

No popups or errors appear. It just becomes unresponsive. Only force quit works.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

I seriously think it may have something to do with Flash. Mine froze my Macbook Pro like I previously stated in an earlier post. This time I waited for it to unfreeze and an update for Flash popped up. I have continuously been ignoring this flash player update until today. It makes a bit of sense, since flash seems to be the only thing that can make my computer go crazy. I've been trying to recreate the problem and haven't been able to since yesterday. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, Spotify, check into those flash ads!!! They may actually be causing problems that are losing customers instead...

I will be mid song and I will get that spinning wheel of doom that macs get. I'm really tired of force quitting and restarting.....

Screen Shot on Macbook: 

whole page: Command+Shift+3

Section: Command+Shift+4 and drag what you want to take  a pic of

Description

The program crashes immediately as I attempt to log in, or when I press any of the "spotify","file", "edit", "window", "help".

OSX Version

Did a reinstall help?

No. Cleared the cache also. No help.

Nothing at all. 

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs
Spotify crashes at startup, just as it has been doing for a past number of months, the new version was no change. Been discussing this in another part of the forum for some time but was directed here. 

OSX Version

MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?
No

No

Description

Since updating to version 0.8.4.93.gd9f49c35 I'm seeing the same issue as many others are reporting... it freezes with the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death at the beginning of a new song after playing 4-5 tracks ok. The last occurrence details....  I had just played Green Day's new single "Oh Love" and then I was playing the entire album "Dookie" . It froze while attempting to start playing "Longview".

OSX Version

System Version:Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

Kernel Version:Darwin 11.4.0

Model Name:MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:MacBookPro5,3

Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:2.8 GHz

Number of Processors:1

Total Number of Cores:2

L2 Cache:6 MB

Memory:8 GB

Bus Speed:1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:MBP53.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system):1.48f2

Did a reinstall help?

Is this 2004? I thought this was the Spotify forum, not RealPlayer or Rhapsody. If that's your solution, I'll go back to Rdio.

Yeah... Force Quit / Spotify

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

I, too, have been seeing the rainbow wheel of doom....what is going on with this freezing??

Description

Spotify crashes on startup. The login screen appears. After entering my login details Spotify shuts down. On the next startup it says something like "Spotify crashed, would you like to send a report?".

OSX Version

OSX 10.7.4

Did a reinstall help?

No

No

So I did reinstall Spotify AND deleted my ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/Storage folder and that actually made the problem worse. One time it locked up the first song I attemtped to play. 

Suggested posts