Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Solved!

Spotify freezing on latest release? Report it here.

Hey everyone,

As we're rolling out a new release of Spotify for desktops - v0.8.4 - we're keen to stay on top of any bugs that may have crept in while we weren't looking. We hate bugs.

So if you're having problems please use the following template to report them in this thread. This will help our top tech boffins investigate the issue. And then we'll be able to whip out the bugspray.

Don't forget to try a reinstall first! So make sure you're on 0.8.4 before reporting this to us (check under Spotify > About Spotify)

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

When and where the crashing or freezing occurs

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes/No

Has anything else helped at all?

eg. turning off gapless playback made it crash less often, etc.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible and you're getting any messages/pop-ups.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Thanks for helping us make Spotify the best it can be.

Update: We pushed a fix to the most recent version of Spotify. So please try redownloading from www.spotify.com/download before reporting any issues.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips
250 Replies

That's neat. I recently upgraded to OSX Lion, and everything is jolly good!
------------

Music is the best invention. Ever!

(At least) Mac version is f'ed up ATM.

Description

Songs freeze every 5 seconds during 5-20 seconds. 

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No

Offline songs work fine, on-line is a disaster, just impossible

Description

Initially, on the last update, the program froze, died, and wouldn't reopen, crashing as soon as the icon was clicked.  For a time, I could just delete and reinstall Spotify (including deletion of the Library>App support folder).  Tried re-downloading the installer today just to triple-check that I had the latest, and now it just crashes at some point between the installer download completing and opening the program.  I can't get it to open at all.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro, 10.5.8.  I realise that I'm working on a "legacy" OS at this point, but I can't upgrade or I'd lose a good deal of software I use.

Did a reinstall help?

Initially, yes (but only in conjunction with manually deleting the Library folder), but not as of yesterday or today.

No, I can't get the program to open.

Seems I'm in the same boat as QBOwl.

After the update, Spotify crashes on start/restart.

Is there a link to a previous version?

Just downloaded Spotify. But it seems very buggy for me as well.

It will very frequently crash – often instantly when I try and click something in the application, but at other times as well. The program just closes, no error message or anything. After it has thus crashed, it will not restart. The latter problem can be fixed by manually deleting those cache files that are named with some sort of code, e.g. F6B0B9E9-C021-4C41-BDE6-DC87CCB7B5E5.dmp or something like that.

Reinstalling did not help. I'm running OS X 10.7.5

Another rubbish release from Spotify.  I can play one track, then freezes.   Sometimes can't even play that.   This is the last straw, I'm going elsewhere with my £10 a month.

Description

I have new Mac (see below) and tried to install Spotify. Either the installation didn't start or it crashed in the middle. After several tries I reached the login screen and could start the app. Spotify was super slow and not reactive and after starting the first song it crashed after 2 sec. After this spotify wouldn't even start. The app symbol starts bouncing in dock and than nothing happened.

OSX Version

Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.8

Did a reinstall help?

No – it took several tries. Than the same problem.

No

Exactly the same case as the one from QBOwl....

OSX Version

iMac, 10.7.1.  

Did a reinstall help?

Initially, yes (but only in conjunction with manually deleting the Library folder), but not as of yesterday or today.

Has anything else helped at all?

No, I can't get the program to open.

Description

I start Spotify and as soon as I try to do something (search for music or play it, just basically anything will trigger it) the programm shuts down completely. If I try to re-start it it takes some minutes to open.

OSX Version

I have no clue. Not the newest one though

Did a reinstall help?

No

Don't know what else I should do?! Sorry, I'm a total computer-loser. So please make it work again! Oh and last time I managed to start Spotify, I found out I have version 0.8.5.1356.gd1d40f3a (if that helps anybody?!?)

Thanks a lot!

Description

after i start running a track on spotify it crashes!

OSX Version

eg. Macbook Pro running OS X 10.8.2

Did a reinstall help?

No

no and im pretty pissed!!!!

Description

After opening spotify, spotify freezes after a couple of seconds, then crashes. It takes ages to open it, too.

The older posts made me curious what to find out what would happen, if I inactivate the local data input like iTunes etc.

So after several tries I made it in the menu for five seconds. I was able to disable local data. But nothing changed.

More Details
1) Clean reinstall of spotify after a systemreboot

2) Uninstalling flash player and making a clean reinstall of spotify

3) Clean reinstalling for several times, nothing changed

What I expected to happen

I expected spotify to work properly. It worked for several hours on the Mac OS 10.8.2, but then suddenly the error occured

Operating System
Mac OS 10.8.2 with the latest updates

My spotify version

Latest version (wasn't able to chek the number, it crashed while trying...)

Country
Germany

Description

Upon start up, Spotify freezes immediately after it loads (which now takes much, much longer for it to do). It sits nonresponsive until I eventually have to force it to close.

OSX Version

Windows 7 Utilmate

Did a reinstall help?

No

No. Occasionally it'll work better, but freezes up after an hour or two of use.

Description:

I run spotify on my laptop, which I connect to my Denon AVR 1913 reciever. Freezing happens whenever I go above vol. 40 and happens randomly during playback. 

Windows Version

Hp pavillion DV7 running Windows 7 64 bit.

I tried reinstalling, but that didnt work

I've tried disabling the hardware accelator and gapless playback, still no luck.

I was really looking forward to my Premium trial... but constantly getting "Connection lost. Reconnecting error code 101 or 114 or whatever.

Removed and reinstalled several times.

Followed all suggestions posted in previous forums - wish I could get true tech support.

Can something called "mDNSResponder" effect it? 

I saved an error log from one of the crashes - several pages long - will be happy to look for specific things if someone tells me what to look for...

Can't believe I have spent so much time on this - I thought my PC days were over!!!

Please help

Description

Since the most recent upgrade of Spotify for OS X, Spotify has been crashing. It seems the newest version does not support my version of OS X. If I attempt an uninstall/reinstall of suitable version, Spotify sets itself to auto upgrade on restart, so every time I restart I get greeted with a crash error. Is there any way to stop Spotify from autoupgrading?

OSX Version

Macbook running OS X 10.5.8

Did a reinstall help?

Yes and No. Uninstalling and reinstalling lets me run the previous version until I close the program and Spotify completes its autoupgrade.

No.

Everytime I close and try to reopen spotify, it says it has closed unexpectedly - and will not relaunch. 

Everytime I turn off my computer, spotify says it has closed unexpectedly - and will not relaunch.

Reinstalling allows me to open it again; but then I cannot open it after I close it. 

Essentially, it doesn't work.

The trouble to reinstall it EVERYDAY or EVERYTIME I want to listen to music - is not acceptable. 

Mac OS X - Version 10.5.8 

exact same problem here

The 0.8.8 Spotify auto-update release does not work with Mac OS 10.5.8 at all. 

Solution = restore both libraryfolder and app (to e.g 0.8.4) from TimeMachine and block further updates, more here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-crashes-as-soon-as-it-opens/td-p/...

okay - how about something easy for the non-super.into.the.hardware.of.a.mac- user.  

Suggested posts