Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps skipping

Solved!

Spotify keeps skipping

Every since I installed Spotify on my computer, it keeps skipping every few seconds with practically every single song. I tried re-installing but still experience the same problem. Not really sure what else to do, but it's pretty annoying.

228 Replies

same on school chrome book and it skips

I'll just leave this here.

Using my Windows 10 PC.

I create a playlist with tracks located on my PC using Windows Media Player

I then "Cast to" my Roberts Radio.

Every other track plays in full. The tracks in between only play for the first 30 seconds, then it cuts onto the next track in the list.

Been happening for years, from back when I had Windows XP.

streaming problem.jpg

I don't have iTunes at all on any device and mine still skips. No silver bullet here...but hopefully helps the Mac users.

Pretty sure its a wifi / bandwidth issue - has worked perfectly at my other location

It may be but it does it even with a known strong signal...multiple locations that didn't do it before.

Have tried everything suggested and nothing is working - not even the web player 😕

I just noticed that my headphones were not plugged in xD

Try using the web player: https://open.spotify.com/browse

Sign in and then start playing. Your installed Spotify should sync to your browser.

Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

If you have an SD card we suggest that you uninstall the app > turn off your phone > take out your SD card > turn on the phone again (without the SD card) > reinstall the app since the card can be corrupted.

Another useful step to do is to remove your hosts files.

If you have Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you use Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If this happens on your mobile device we suggest that you try the following:

• Soft reset of the device
  • Ensure the operating system is up-to-date

Also, ensure device has enough storage space.

Another useful step to do is to try with another internet connection.

If the issue persist, can you log in with another account on the device - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care 🙂 

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts