Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not working with Google Home

Solved!

Spotify not working with Google Home

Free and Premium

United States

Google Home and iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.1.4

When using Google Home and linking a Spotify account (be it Premium or Free tier) I am not getting a response back with utterances being said to the device. Ex. "Hey Google, play STARGAZING by Travis Scott." The Google Home will say sure, or ok and then not play music or do anything else. Additionally, If I happen to use the Google Home App it will open the Spotify app and just take me to the Spotify Artist page and do nothing as well and not play music.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @jkalessonydadc.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Let's disconnect and relink your Google and Spotify account. You can do this as follows:

1. Tap the menu in the top-left corner of the Google Home app.
  2. Tap Account preferences, then Linked media accounts.
  3. Remove Spotify
  4. Restart the Google Home app and go back to Linked media accounts.
  5. Select Spotify and tap Link Account, then Log in to Spotify.
    Note: If you don’t already have a Spotify account, you can create one by tapping Sign up to Spotify. After this, you’ll need to start the account link process from the beginning.
  6. Tap OKAY to confirm.

Hope this will help. Let us know what the result is 🙂

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

87 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @jkalessonydadc.

Thanks for getting in touch!

Let's disconnect and relink your Google and Spotify account. You can do this as follows:

1. Tap the menu in the top-left corner of the Google Home app.
  2. Tap Account preferences, then Linked media accounts.
  3. Remove Spotify
  4. Restart the Google Home app and go back to Linked media accounts.
  5. Select Spotify and tap Link Account, then Log in to Spotify.
    Note: If you don’t already have a Spotify account, you can create one by tapping Sign up to Spotify. After this, you’ll need to start the account link process from the beginning.
  6. Tap OKAY to confirm.

Hope this will help. Let us know what the result is 🙂

Have a nice day!

Thanks Guido. That seems to have fixed the issue at hand. 

Hi, I hope you can help me. I tried your solution but it hasn't solved my problem, which is as follows. 

I have a Premium account and have set up an audio system with Chromecast audio and Google Home mini. I can play any Spotify playlist through this set up but I cannot play any album, downloaded or not, through the speakers. It just doesn't connect; gives the cast connecting icon but never completes. I use an Android phone. I've rebooted the Google Home to no effect. Anyone else have this problem? 

Ok, from another member a solution to this particular problem. I removed the album (have tried with one so far) from my saved list and then searched for it and saved it again. It then cast successfully. So, some data/digital hoodoo causing the problem? Anyway, it works for now. 

Hi
I got mine to work by clearing the data in the app settings on Android.
1. Swipe down from top of phone or tablet
2. Tap on the cog icon (settings)
3. Scroll down until you find apps and tap on it
4. In apps menu find Spotify app, then tap on it to go in to menu
5. Find storage and tap on it to go in that menu
6. Then tap on clear data

When You have done this you can back out all the way to home screen and open Spotify app, you will be asked to login and this should allow you to cast your sound to your devices again.

This doesn't work.  I just received a google home device today and have unlinked, closed out app, repeat, several times.

does not fix problem

Google doesn't work with multiple devices around with google. Ex, i tried spotify to play my music on google home, but phone also heard and tried to respond. I turned off "ok google" on my phone and now no problems with google home

I had a very very similar problem where it would play music but the music would only play what was last played on my Spotify account. What I did is reset my link to Spotify, log out of the Spotify app, and unplug my google home(wait 10 min then plug back in). Trying to relink my Spotify account and add as a default service, the service was connected on the google home app but the google home said otherwise when I asked to play music. I then noticed that I was logged into my second account on my google assistant app which I was unaware of. The first time I had it set up, they were both were on the same account(I believe) but after correcting what account I was re-linking the Spotify to, everything worked as it should. In short, make sure the account between your google home app and google assistant app are the same. I’m sure this will only apply a select few of individuals but I hope it helps(also try to reset and reconnect everything you can. There ought to be something that’s amiss that reconnecting can solve).

-have a great day

Hey there @lght00,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Just to confirm, does the issue still persist for you?

If so, it'd be helpful if you could provide some additional details on what's happening or the devices affected so we can take a closer look. Additionally, you can also try the steps @Mjt23 provided above and let us know if that did the trick for you.

@Silentdeathpaw - that sounds like a different issue. First, we'd recommend making sure that all your devices are updated to the latest operating system versions available, making sure to install any pending software updates. There are also some guides like this that you can check.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

As annoying as it is to have to go into the Google Home app -- what i find working is to do that and to find the Group (or device) and to 

1) Stop Casting

2) Play Music 

A fresh start? 

Yeah, I'm having the same issue.  I did about everything I can find online but my google home mini still either just skips every song or only plays 20 seconds of the song.

I just had this issue.  I cleared the data for Google Home app and it works fine now.  Hope this works for you. 

Spotify will not connect at all to my Google home. I have linked and unlinked my premium account numerous times. Reset my phone, wifi and Google home minis.  The o ly way I am able to get sound to them is to "cast my audio" from my phone while playing Spotify on my phone. It was just working yesterday.

It will connect to my Amazon echo no problem. 

Screenshot_20200506-180420.png

The same thing has been happening to me! My google mini will play music from YouTube and spotify works fine on my phone but if I try to play spotify on my google mini it simply says "sorry something went wrong" after a few seconds. I rebooted and even reset my mini, redownloaded both spotify and google home, and tried the unlinking thing too but nothing works. 

Same issue as jessikerz and tucker927 . Was working fine earlier today then it just stopped working. 

Did you try my suggestion above? I had the same issue. this fixed it. 

I have tried all of the link relink, resetting caches, everything mentioned. With the amount of new posts being out up on here in quick succession it seems this is an issue on spotify's end. Any help would be appreciated. 

How do you clear your data?

Suggested posts