Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Solved!

Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Ive seen a few similar topics from a while back and wondered if Spotify actually ever reads these!!  Is anyone else having same issue?

Basically:

Spotify freezes alot

Ive cleared my cache several times to rectify but am bored with having to do this.  I dont have to on my windows PC or apple phone - ipad......

Is there any other thing I can do?

95 Replies

Please Spotify. This takes way too long. Fix the startup problems of your apple desktop software. Today I had to reinstall the software once again. Did cause my Apple to crash. Nothing worked. Nowadays I have to do that every week. It's getting annoying. And yes I tried all tips and tricks. Hardware accelleration off now. I don't care where or who causes this problem. Just fix this. I want to use Spotify premium. Must be music to your ears or what? But you make it hard...

I don't know what it will take for Spotify to respond to this. It's been going on forever. I guess they just don't care. Maybe the number of Mac desktop users doesn't make it worth their while to fix it. Probably don't care if we all cancel. Does anyone have any recommendations for other streaming services? I like the size of the Spotify catalogue but it's kind of a waste if you can't use it. I'll give it another month I think.

A followup post from when I posted approx 3 weeks ago...
1) Spotify will NOT respond to these community posts. 
2) I tried the solution posted earlier in some of the threads and it WORKED for me. I just followed the instructions (relatively easy), and started up spotify again, and in less than a minute everything appeared and I was able to start a song! This is how it used to be! 
3) so clearly there is an issue with the cache (or other preference) that effects the speed at startup. (My cache was previously around 4GB). 
I adjusted the pref's file (as indicated in the post to max 1GB) and I hope I'll see a continued decent startup speed.
I'll continue to monitor this solution and will see if the cache is the main culprit. I'll try to remember to post a followup in a few weeks.
Until then, I strongly encourage you to follow these steps (and save it as a PDF if you can in case the original poster takes down the link!).

https://alexlitel.tumblr.com/post/53154780770/what-to-do-if-spotify-is-running-slow-on-your

@ Peter0202  and Cyenobite,

Yep Spotify doesn't take this community serious I guess. But hey, which big company does nowadays? All too familiar all over again. Unfortunately. I'm thinking to get higher. Looks like this comminity is dead in the eyes of Spotify. Let's go to twitter or whatever. Maybe then they will listen to customers willing to pay for their services. Unfortunately I do not like the other alternatives out there. So I will try to get this fixed. And when nothing helps. Then I will have switch over to another music streaming service of my choice. Looks like Spotify don't want our money haha. 

But first I will look into the fix of Cyenobite. Thanks .

They do have a Facebook support page. SpotifyCares. Ahem.

https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

I'm trying it now. I'll let you know what they say, if anything.

Spotify is so arrogant! After this one year plan I will be gone! Apple Music seems to be so much easier and faster!

me too

I'm on a mac, just tried reinstalling and it worked like a charm:

https://support.spotify.com/is/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/

I hope it keeps working for you. I found re-installing worked for about a week.

@ANMANdesign @Peter0202 Yes that's what I do also. 53 weeks in a year I reinstall Spotify. Just to get it workig again after a week. Who's is mad now haha.

@jochenfrankfurt @ANMANdesign @Peter0202 

I'm sorry to say, but after installing Spotify two times last week I left Spotify and went to Apple Music.

I also tried YoutubeMusic. But man, the sound quality of ytm when streaming over my stereo by my precious Raumfeld is very bad. Phew. 

I will trie Apple music for free the coming three months. So far the sound quality is ok. Only that fenced wall. Apple is missing the boat. They lost. I can not stream music via my Raumfeld to my stereo. So have it Apple after these three months. And the UI of Apple Music. Oh boy.  Are they blind? Hahaha.

So I hope Spotify will come of their arrogant chai and solve this problem soon. Then I will be back. In my opnion Spotify is still the best music streaming service. Luckely teh Android app works fine.

Please, Spotify, for the love of God this has gone on long enough! Fix your Mac app!

How can they not be able to write a working Mac App in 2019?? (My Spotify Cache is only 170M and it's still grindingly slow.) It's the only app on my computer that is this slow. So much for Spotify engineering culture... they seem utterly incompetent to me.

The mac desktop app has been terrible for a few years, I eventually gave up using it and now just use the android app streamed to a chromecast. I'll probably jump ship to Apple soon, just so that I can have a working music player on my desktop.

That is what I wonder too. Todat I have to deinstall spotify because it won't start up anymore. What a company hey.?

Quit spotify.

Go to your local spotify storage location and delete the whole folder which says Spotify.

Go to cache (~/Library/Caches), delete the spotify folder there. 

Uninstall spotify and reinstall.

Disable hardware acceleration.

And finally pray!

Should work fine now.

Did exactly that a few days ago, and it worked perfectly until today. Takes ages to open now, but eventually works. I'm beginning to think that Apple are slowing it down purposely so that i'll buy a new macbook! 😉

More likely because Apple wants you to buy Apple Music ...

I wen down this road on my 2009 macbook and I found a couple Spotify files. I flipped a coin and deleted the HELP file. Where my Facebook picture used to be is now empty and my name is now simply an account number...and it works perfectly. 

Hello everyone looks like the problem is still unsolved. So what I do is to run spotify on the web player and it does work like a charm. I think it does not work on safari, but does on pretty much any other mainstream browser.

Head to http://play.spotify.com 

Best Regards.

Suggested posts