Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Solved!

Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Ive seen a few similar topics from a while back and wondered if Spotify actually ever reads these!!  Is anyone else having same issue?

Basically:

Spotify freezes alot

Ive cleared my cache several times to rectify but am bored with having to do this.  I dont have to on my windows PC or apple phone - ipad......

Is there any other thing I can do?

95 Replies

Come on Spotify, when are you going to fix this? I've just had to do the reinstall yet again (Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6), for probably the third time this year, as the app becomes completely un-usable.

Application opens, but I am unable to search, or open any playlists. It's hopeless. You may have more Android / iPhone users, but some of still use computers. 

http://play.spotify.com 

On Opera, Firefox or Chrome.

You are welcome.

EDIT: Tought this would do a replay to the previous question. This is a repost. Sorry.

My point was to kill the Facebook link. Doubt y'all still got it after that. ardos

See also related report for high CPU usage on macOS desktop version: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Spotify-maxing-CPU-core/idi-p/4715263/page/3

Are you guys experiencing the same issue with Spotify becoming irresponsive when in the process to quit and having to "force to quit" the application every time you want to close it?

This seems to have finally fixed my issue as well. 

This seems to have fixed my issue as well. 

@Cyenobite wrote:

A followup post from when I posted approx 3 weeks ago...
1) Spotify will NOT respond to these community posts. 
2) I tried the solution posted earlier in some of the threads and it WORKED for me. I just followed the instructions (relatively easy), and started up spotify again, and in less than a minute everything appeared and I was able to start a song! This is how it used to be! 
3) so clearly there is an issue with the cache (or other preference) that effects the speed at startup. (My cache was previously around 4GB). 
I adjusted the pref's file (as indicated in the post to max 1GB) and I hope I'll see a continued decent startup speed.
I'll continue to monitor this solution and will see if the cache is the main culprit. I'll try to remember to post a followup in a few weeks.
Until then, I strongly encourage you to follow these steps (and save it as a PDF if you can in case the original poster takes down the link!).

https://alexlitel.tumblr.com/post/53154780770/what-to-do-if-spotify-is-running-slow-on-your

It works! so far 😉

Thank you, the hours of torment and frustration are over!

Thanks so much for this link -- it's fixed the issue I have had on my iMac for some time now. 

Worked for a few weeks, then went back to being unusable.

I did a fresh install about 30 minutes ago and already it's freezing. I officially give up!

I wonder if most of these issues are on computers with Fusion Drives. The startup on my iMac is horrible, but my work laptop is an SSD-only MacBook and I don't see these problems on that one. I suspect these things occur if Spotify is not quite that "often used", so Apple keeps moving the Cache out of the SSD. It really sucks that one cannot force files onto the SSD on these Fusion drives.

Nope, it's horrific on every mac I've used

I'm with you on that!

Same here, totally sucks!

Blank pages, you can click on "Liked Songs", "Artists" or "Browse" and wait 5-10 mins. It's faster to take another device and select MAC as an output device and music will play. (iMac 2019 5k, MacBook Pro 2018 13" same) 

Marked as solution

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the info. We've let our tech team know, and they're investigating this. We don't have an exact timeline for a fix.

A few things you can try in the meanwhile:

1. Reinstall Spotify
  2. Be sure that your SSD drive is below around 80%. This is highly recommended for any SSD drive to function properly
  3. A fresh install of macOS (Don't forget to back-up important files)

We'll be closing replies to this topic for now but we'd recommend keeping an eye out for updates to the app.

Thanks for your understanding and have a nice day.

Suggested posts