Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Re: Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

Trogdor23

A complete uninstall (including folders in the Library system folder) and fresh reinstall fixed the infuriating slowness of the Spotify application on my MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Now, the one-minute black-screen-launch takes just a couple seconds. This is good. Before, by the time the app finally launched, I forgot what song I wanted to hear.

alekii247

Have given up on the app for the mac & uninstalled it. It's unusable being so slow. Not sure if spotify even care seeing as this problem has been ongoing for a while. I use the extention app on chrome when I'm on the computer.

King_Snakey
Music Fan

I’d tried this before, a while ago, and it didn’t work but now it’s good. For now anyway!

thanks

King_Snakey
Music Fan

oops I spoke too soon

it opened up somewhat quickly ONE TIME

back to really slow. it's trash

whatever51
Regular

It's a trash application. Spotify has demonstrated their priorities over the past few years: introduce new features (and bugs) before fixing the user experience and existing bugs. They don't listen to us, and we continue to pay—we're suckers.

It's not an unreasonable position to take as a growing company—there's basically an infinite amount of work to do and only so many developers. And it generally works, until you reach a tipping point, where the application is so painful to use that people actually leave. I have 5+ years of a music catalog built up in Spotify, but I'm almost at that point.

It makes me think that the company is poorly run from a broader, project management perspective. Stupid, seemingly easy-to-fix bugs are introduced and never fixed, even as people complain. The fixes never get prioritized, even if they wouldn't take much effort, because it only effects the user experience/happiness and doesn't directly translate into the all-important bottom line. Eventually, it will effect the bottom line though, as Spotify's reputation/image is damaged. It's a bad look, and makes me think less of the developers at Spotify and the company as a whole.

Yesterday, Spotify was using 60+ GB of memory (!!!). Today, it takes 10+ seconds to switch to the queue or search for a song in a playlist. It takes 5+ seconds after hitting the next button for the song to actually change. Embarassing. (And yes, I know about restarting, clearing my cache, etc.)

Ogen

Disabling hardware acceleration (Click on Spotify in the top left of your screen then untick the option) fixed the problem for me.

goldy44
Music Fan

Thanks! This has been driving me nuts. I just tried this and so far so go.

Peter0202
Regular
Brilliant! Thank you. You have to update to the latest version first. The
version I was using didn't have this option. Again, thank you.

zaynit
Regular

Only 4 + minutes? More like 40 + for me :-(

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 20.56.39.png

King_Snakey
Music Fan

yeah man!!

SUGGESTED POSTS