Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

1 person liked this

Re: Spotify on Mac is shockingly slow and freezes

nabilshehadeh
Music Fan

I personally am a mac user and I can agree with you guys about how the Mac spotify application has become significantely slower as it sometimes freezes but the music continues and if you wanted to search up another song you'd have to restart the application.

1 person liked this

Doulton
Casual Listener
I have deleted fully and reinstalled numerous times. I do it approximately
once a week and even then Spotify is capricious. I am a premium customer.
I certainly have no idea why Spotify takes so many sick days!
1 person liked this

King_Snakey
Music Fan

I posted this before but my post seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Considering how harsh some of these posts are here, I can't imagine it was purposefully deleted since it was tame in comparison. But just in case let me rephrase

I have stopped using Spotify, instead I am listening to music in a more stable, less frustrating way. If the desktop app is ever rehabilitated, it would be great if someone posted that in this thread and maybe I can get back into Spotify. Thanks in advance!

CedarWitch
Casual Listener

Scratch that, it was only a brief fix. This seems to work, though, as others mentioned earlier: https://alexlitel.tumblr.com/post/53154780770/what-to-do-if-spotify-is-running-slow-on-your

gravesande
Casual Listener

Spotify seemed to work way better when I bumped 4GB memory to 8GB. 

peter1233
Regular

I have 16Gb, nothing else running, and Spotify is still deathly slow.   My guess is that it's slow because Apple makes it run slow to drive Apple Music subscriptions.  There is no other plausible explaination for a quad-core i7 with 16gb, doing nothing else, to be deathly slow running a music app.

2 people liked this

Cyenobite

I stopped in here to check the messages to see if it's just been me. Lately (within the last month or so) Spotify has been painfully slow at start (it always has been, but even more than usual). What's been happening recently is upon startup, I just an greeted by a black screen (sidebar loads ok). I'f I'm patient and wait (approx 3-5 minutes) the icons eventually show up. During this time, I can't play anything either. When the icons finally load (like my "made for you" favorites), when I click the play button there is another long delay (1-2 minutes) and then finally it starts to play.
I'm on an older imac, but have a 100GB internet connection and 12MB of ram. Can't figure out what changed in the last month or so to make this so painfully slow.

Peter0202
Casual Listener

The more you use it, the slower it gets. There was a post about clearing out it's cache folder a while back. That worked pretty well for a while. I've given up using it on my mac minis. I just use my phone and ipad now. Good luck.

SUGGESTED POSTS