Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify opens when Mac starts, but Touch Bar play button still maps to iTunes

Spotify opens when Mac starts, but Touch Bar play button still maps to iTunes

When I start my Macbook, Spotify opens immediately. This is great, because now I can hop right back into my playlist.

However, when I hit the play button on my Touch Bar, it opens iTunes. I would prefer it wouldn't open iTunes, but starts playing Spotify instead.

Am I missing some setting? Or is this just how macOS initializes Touch Bar mappings until Spotify has actually played some music?

5 Replies

Hey @aizenebrg, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.

If you're still having trouble, let me know what device this happens on, as well as the current software version. Also, let me know if this happens when under certain conditions such as a different network connection, or if the device is charging.

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks @Billy-J. 

The problem always occurs when I restart my device, so afraid that doesn't change anything.

I tried re-installing already.

This happens on a Macbook Pro with macOS Mojave.

Hey @aizenebrg

Can you let me know what Macbook Pro model you have, and the year it was made? And to confirm does this happens when you press the play button on the touch bar as shown here?

Touch Bar Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.37.50 AM.png

You also mentioned your device's software version was macOS Mojave. The latest software version is macOS Catalina. You can update your Mac following these steps and let me know if the issues persist afterward. 

Keep me updated.

Billy-JSpotify Star

Fair point, I'll try a macOS upgrade first.

Hey @aizenebrg,

Sounds like a plan. Let me know how it goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts