Spotify overrides Song Title Incorrectly and Can't Find Song in Database

Spotify overrides Song Title Incorrectly and Can't Find Song in Database

Plan: Premium

Device

Macbook Pro

Operating System

OS X 10.13.6

My Question or Issue

A Reddit user gives a very nice summary here (https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comments/6axe1s/added_tool_in_my_local_spotify_songs_replaced_by/) but my issue is exactly the same.

"I added Tool on my local files Spotify (mainly because I like to have everything in the same place).
But when I did so, Spotify automatically changed the metadata of some songs to a shitty non existant band "The Tool" with their only album "Metalheads" : http://imgur.com/a/p8pcL
It pisses me off to no end that a shitty guy managed to put his **bleep**bleep** fake album on Spotify and ruins my library with his terrible album cover.
Would you guys know of any solution to this?"

I attempted to fix this by using the Suggest and Edit feature but got the error "This track was not found or has no data". If the track isn't found, why is Spotify overridding the ID3 information? Must be a bug.

Furthermore, let me say that this is part of an unfortunate trend that Spotify adds a bunch of fancy automation features (such as Spotify Connect) without giving the user the ability to override them. Your software should always defer to your users rather than your "smart" automation.

7 Replies

Unfortunately, missing or unavailable music is almost always a decision by the artist/label to withhold the content from Spotify. Sometimes it's temporarily unavailable while they sort out legal issues or correct metadata, in which case it'll be back up as soon as they resubmit it to Spotify. While it might be a good idea to contact the label directly and ask why the music isn't on Spotify, you can also use Twitter and Facebook to ask the artists themselves.

You might also be interested in supporting this idea, which suggests a simpler method for requesting albums missing from Spotify.

@Loxer wrote:

Unfortunately, missing or unavailable music is almost always a decision by the artist/label to withhold the content from Spotify. Sometimes it's temporarily unavailable while they sort out legal issues or correct metadata, in which case it'll be back up as soon as they resubmit it to Spotify. While it might be a good idea to contact the label directly and ask why the music isn't on Spotify, you can also use Twitter and Facebook to ask the artists themselves.

You might also be interested in supporting this idea, which suggests a simpler method for requesting albums missing from Spotify.

Did you actually read my question, because you answered an entirely different one?

My issue isn't that the content is missing. If it we're truly missing, Spotify would accept my ID3 tag on my local mp3. Instead it's misnaming the album with no way to force it to use the correct album title.

Hey @user-removed,

I did read your question and mine had something responding to your metadata issue but it seems you missed it 🙂

Anyway, the best board for metadata fixing is Line-In. Just read this FAQ on how to use this tool to help Spotify update it's tdatabase of artists and their work.

Hope it helps 🙂

So then does Spotify have the track in its database or doesn't it?

What's happening here? This has to be a bug.

Yeah, so I looked at that Line In thing. It doesn't have the song. It has a mishmash of half correct information that I'm not even sure how to correct. I don't know which entry actually matches the track in my local files.

What's more confusing is that Spotify seems to get the album correct in my app but wrong on my desktop application.

I found this post while searching for local file issues, and this post was relevant because it just so happens my TOOL library is, for whatever reason, not recognized in my local files!! It's driving me insane, it's ALWAYS worked, and now all of a sudden it's not. All the files are mp3, all the other mp3s from my local files work fine, only the Tool mp3s give me the "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." BS message... I DID IMPORT IT!!!  WTH???

And yes, that stupid "The Tool - Metalheads" album cover bugs**bleep** outta me, lol... it's so ugly.

Suggested posts