Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify prevents Mac from going to sleep

Solved!

Spotify prevents Mac from going to sleep

Hi,

running the Spotify client prevents my Mac from going to sleep, even when no song is being played.

By typing "pmset -g assertions" into the terminal window, you'll get a list of diagnostic information regarding power save mode. As long as Spotify is running, it contains the the line

PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,0,1,2:0'.noidlesleep" 

This would be the expected behavior when a song is being played but seems to be a bug otherwise.

A fix would be nice!

Thanks,

Norb

69 Replies

hammeh, that's the point. maybe it is a Bug. maybe they do it on Purpose. yet it is inacceptable! i just got this Support Mail, but i dont think that anything will be done about it soon.

---------

HI there,

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem with Spotify.

That is something that we are aware of, and currently working on.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Thank you for your continued support of Spotify

No, I do not see the logic. Stop being an appologist.

*It is acceptable* that my bandwidth and battery is being used to upload to other users when I have spotify open and playing music whilst I am using my computer.

*It is acceptable* that spotify prevents my computer from going in to idle sleep when it's open and playing music.

*It is acceptable* that my bandwidth and battery is being used to upload to other users when I have spotify open and NOT playing music, but I'm using my computer for some other reason.

*It is acceptable* that my bandwidth and battery is being used to upload to other users when I have spotify open and NOT playing music and I have not used my computer for a period of *up to that which I have decided my computer should stay awake*.

*It is *NOT* acceptable* that spotify abuse the API to override the idle sleep settings I have chosen when it is not playing music.

For me, it's not really about bandwidth, and to be honest, I don't think this is why it doesn't go to sleep. I have given spotify feedback over this twice and both the people I dealt a) tried to solve it with me, b) passed it on to developers when they couldn't. They are not passing on information to their support if this is actually a feature.

Does the windows version do this? That will give us a more definite answer as to whether this is intentional or not. I think it's just sloppy coding on the mac version.

But again, even if it's intentional, it is WRONG, and please to not appologise for them.

I could be wrong, but it seems like maybe this has been addressed?

Came back to my Mac to find it asleep. Spotify was running.

It hasn't been fixed, and I don't think this is intentional. The issue only occurs when the Play Queue is empty or the user hasn't pressed play / pause after opening the app.

If this were intentional, surely the app would always leave the no sleep assertion set.

Very interesting find with the play queue being empty. Hope this issue can be fully resolved soon.

I hope it will get resolved, but I got tired of waiting and made a workaround.

I learned some Applescript and wrote an app that quits Spotify if it isn't playing, and your machine would otherwise sleep (according to idle time). I use the idle sleep time set in Energy Saver for AC Power, so if you're using a laptop on battery, you might want to adjust that setting, or alter the script so it uses the Battery setting.

And please don't mark this as a solution -  it doesn't solve anything, but it will allow your machine to go to sleep.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7035139/SpotifyKiller.zip

Double click to run the app, and add it to your login startup items to run at startup.

Just wanted to add one more voice to the choir. It would be great if my Mac could actually sleep without having to quit Spotify. If there is no song playing Spotify should allow the Mac to sleep!

Spotify is definitely still doing this for me.

Open the app. Run pmset -g assertions. There will be no "noidlesleep" assertion. Play a track. Once it's playing, run pmset again and you will see the assertion has appeared. This is fine. Now pause the track and run pmset again, and observe the assertion is still there, even though the audio device is not in use. This is not okay.

Spotify still prevents the Mac from sleep in 2015 with Yosemite:

pmset -g assertions
2015-10-03 16:04:33 +0200 
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 0
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 96(hidd): [0x0000001e0009016c] 01:54:22 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle" 
	Timeout will fire in 584 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 223(coreaudiod): [0x0000184600010292] 00:11:17 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.context249.preventuseridlesleep" 
	Created for PID: 999. 
   pid 223(coreaudiod): [0x0000184600010291] 00:11:17 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.context251.preventuseridlesleep" 
	Created for PID: 999. 

There are two

"com.apple.audio.context249.preventuseridlesleep"

I found out that one is Spotify, the other one is Spotify Helper. If I force quit them, these two strings disappear from the assertions. Very strange that the Spotify developers still have to fix this.

I wondered why my wifes iMac doesn't sleep anymore and found this thread. Please Spotify, fix this. Installing the application to start automatically by default and preventing sleep when it is running is a bad idea. Think about the waste of energy you are causing by this. Think of empty notebook batteries and their upset owners. You have such a wonderful product, why would you keep such an annoyance to the user, especially on the platform where you have to compete against Apple Music.

It's 2016 now, El Capitan 10.11.3, and my iMac's screen will not sleep if Spotify is running. I understand why the iMac won't sleep, but the screen?

Do Spotify developers actually fix ANY bugs ever?

We should keep bumping this until someone from Spotify can give us a definitive answer. This is incredibly annoying.

Signed up to bump this issue

I have the same problem..

bump

checking in to say this is still an issue on OS 10.11.6 (15G31) with Spotify version 1.0.36.124.g1cba1920

Until this is fixed, I'll be using the AppleScript posted by drdaz to auto-close Spotify when idle and not playing.

It's 2017 and it's still not fixed.

Bump.

2017, still an issue. Spotify, hello?

My mac not sleep too.

My Macbook doesn't sleep either... This is inadmissible. I'm considering to stop using Spotify because of this 😞

Suggested posts