Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify slow to start up? Solved! (Windows 7)

Spotify slow to start up? Solved! (Windows 7)

Like many of you I've noticed Spotify can take a very long time to start up as of late.  On a hunch I took a look at where it was trying to pull local sources from.  Sure enough my downloads folder was one of the options.

Here's the thing.  Windows 7 has a bug when refreshing the Downloads folder contents, depending on how you access it.  For example, if I open My Documents and click on Downloads it takes a very long time.  Sometimes a minute or more.  However, if I access the exact same folder, but go through several folder clicks (C:, Users, Me, Downloads) it is instantaneous.  Like it should be.  So I unselected it in Preferences and fired Spotify back up.  It opened in 2 seconds.  Score.

TL:DR

Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"

12 Replies

I love you man, that worked wonders for a problem I really struggled with for some time. Performance really went up instantly. 

This solution worked like a charm! Thanks man. 

On MacBook Pro I Had the same problem. I tried your solution, ans miracle !! It's faster !! 

Thanks to you man !!

Had the same prob.
Followed your steps and BINGO!!!!
Many thanks
Paul

THANK YOU!!!

Amazing! That totally worked!

I had stopped using Spotify on my computer because it would take up to 3 minutes for it to start sometimes! Now I can use it again! 😄

Thank you!

Good Job! Works a treat!! Many thanks.

I didnt see this post but i stumbled on this setting when i was trying to fix it and its a miracle it fires up in 2 seconds once you change the storage folder

Just to be clear, it´s the "Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"" in Spotify, right? Cause for some reason I can´t open any of those. They´re just not clickable.

I don't know... I'm not currently using Spotify, I'm testing apple music... But I think that it's right. 

Delete the contents of the directory C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Spotify

Thank you for your post! I have had this problem for so long!

Suggested posts