Announcements

Spotify slow to start up? Solved! (Windows 7)

Highlighted

Spotify slow to start up? Solved! (Windows 7)

Casual Listener

Like many of you I've noticed Spotify can take a very long time to start up as of late.  On a hunch I took a look at where it was trying to pull local sources from.  Sure enough my downloads folder was one of the options.

Here's the thing.  Windows 7 has a bug when refreshing the Downloads folder contents, depending on how you access it.  For example, if I open My Documents and click on Downloads it takes a very long time.  Sometimes a minute or more.  However, if I access the exact same folder, but go through several folder clicks (C:, Users, Me, Downloads) it is instantaneous.  Like it should be.  So I unselected it in Preferences and fired Spotify back up.  It opened in 2 seconds.  Score.

TL:DR

Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Spotify slow to start up? Solved! (Windows 7)

Music Fan

I love you man, that worked wonders for a problem I really struggled with for some time. Performance really went up instantly. 

Highlighted

This solution worked like a charm! Thanks man. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

On MacBook Pro I Had the same problem. I tried your solution, ans miracle !! It's faster !! 

Thanks to you man !!

Highlighted

Casual Listener
Had the same prob.
Followed your steps and BINGO!!!!
Many thanks
Paul
Highlighted

Casual Listener

THANK YOU!!!

Highlighted

Amazing! That totally worked!

I had stopped using Spotify on my computer because it would take up to 3 minutes for it to start sometimes! Now I can use it again! 😄

Thank you!

Highlighted

Good Job! Works a treat!! Many thanks.

Highlighted

I didnt see this post but i stumbled on this setting when i was trying to fix it and its a miracle it fires up in 2 seconds once you change the storage folder

Highlighted

Just to be clear, it´s the "Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"" in Spotify, right? Cause for some reason I can´t open any of those. They´re just not clickable.

SUGGESTED POSTS