Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starting and playing music overnight by itself

Spotify starting and playing music overnight by itself

Have a Family Plan under MAC OS Big Sur 11.1 using Spotify version 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7.  Every morning when I awake, Spotify has started itself on my computer and is playing strange music that I have never listened to on the last speaker that I had selected.  The music is from artists such as JaxZin, Monikane, CarryRon, Lakizar, and Alinarox - I'm not even sure these are real artists or just some homegrown uploaded stuff.  The album covers for these artists all appear to be clipart. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 12.50.19 PM.png

I have reinstalled Spotify, changed my password, and checked every setting that I could find.  Even when I exit the Spotify application at night, in the morning, the application is on and the music is playing.  Pulling my hair out with this issue and I have noted several similar posts going back to 2014 on similar subjects yet none of the solutions appear to address the problem.

13 Replies

Hi, I've just joined the community to report more or less the same issue. 

I noticed this problem on my Alexa device first as a few days ago it started to play random music I have never listened to in the middle of the night (artists like Tikki Tai, Cholosous, etc...) and you can imagine how it was to be woken up at 3am with strange music in the house.. I had to remove the device from the AC to be able to stop it as after 20 seconds the music started playing again on its own. I got in touch with Amazon customer care as I thought it was a problem of that device and once I disconnected Spotify, the device started to work as before (and I have not reconnected Spotify to Alexa since then). Today I opened Spotify to use it in my car and after 20-30 seconds of the song I wanted to listen to, here we go! The same playlist/songs I heard the previous night started to be played in my car with no possibility to return to my playlist. When I tried to skip a song, it simply went to the next one of an unknown playlist I could not see nor control. I was (and still am) unable to listen to the music I want to (and that it is frustrating having a Premium account..). Once at home I noticed that if I opened the app on my mobile, that same music (Tikki Tai especially) started playing on its own and if I stopped it, it started again after 20 seconds.

To the experts in the Community, can you please provide a solution for this problem? It is really annoying and it makes the use of Spotify completely useless as I cannot listen to the music I want to. I've already changed password and disconnected all devices and then reconnected Spotify on my mobile but the problem hasn't solved. 

Hey there @Kmills100 and @violet_tear,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This is different than a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

If that doesn't do the trick - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Dear Spotify Team, 

Same issue here. Also on a Family plan and Alexa keeps playing randomly music at night - the same (strange) music as above - JaxZin this night.  

I changed all my passwords over the weekend and the issue still persists. It only happens to my Spotify account. My wife's account never gets affected - even though half of the Alexas are on her profile. 

Please help!!!!!

Running the latest Spotify app on iOS 14.3 on an iPhone 11Pro Max.  

Just checked my recently played list. These are the tracks from the last days / week that Alex started playing at night. 

Tracks.jpg

Hey @dertimaushh

Help’s here!

If resetting your password didn't help we also recommend visiting your Account Page and clicking on SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE. Make sure you perform this action in a private/incognito window for enhanced security. 

In case you still experience the same after performing these steps, we suggest you head to this help page. Here you'll find useful tips on how to secure your account in case of unauthorized access. Additional info on how to protect your Spotify account can be found here.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

I have exactly the same problem, same artists!

Hi

I reset all my Alexas, not easy as I control a lot of lights etc. Did not work.

i reset my password. Did not work.

i signed out everywhere & reset password . Did not work. 
I uninstalled spotify & reinstalled, dod not work.

I have noticed that which ever device I use last , alexa , mobile , tablet, that one will play the same artists as mentioned above in the morning. 
The new ‘for you ‘ feature would be great if it wasnt full of these artists! 
This is really frustrating & inconvenient. 
This is obviously a Spotify Issue!

Please report this to spotify development as I know you are trying to help but unfortunately nome of these are actually a solution.

Hey @DonnaBell1,

Thanks for your reply.

What is most likely happening is that you have a scheduling app enabled on one of your devices or accounts. If you're using only Apple devices in your set up, it's worth checking if Siri has some schedules in place. Like Good Morning or morning routines, which would include a track playing at the same time every morning. 

With Samsung users, Bixby is the scheduling app responsible for this.

Since we can only troubleshoot remotely, providing more info about your devices and how they're connected would be helpful.

Another thing you can try is to log in with another Spotify account on one of your devices and check if the same keeps happening. This way we can rule out the possibility of your original account being taken over by a third party.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem!

Hey there @chedgala,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Can you let us know if you've already tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread? This would help us avoid repeating anything and try to narrow down what might be causing this.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

I have the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Spotify starts playing songs that do not relate to anything I usually listen to and starts playing the songs on it's own.

This always happen in the morning when I wake up and check my phone, then close the clear cover and put the phone down.

Lately it has been playing Girls just wanna have fun then it switches to Our House: Madness and then plays girls just wanna have fun again in the next morning.

It doesn't play songs every single morning but it has been doing this pretty much for a year now. I'm not sure if it did this last year on my S20 Ultra. I had a premium package or free package for a long time but now switched to family to last Thursday.

This is pretty hilarious really. I thought it's just a Spotify trait. But is the Spotifys artificial intelligence slowly becoming more self aware just wanting me to be amused with songs it picks and plays? 😄

Hey there @Arisama

Thanks for getting in touch. 

We already replied to you about this in this thread. Let's keep the conversation going on that thread to avoid any mix-ups.

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hello! I had same kind of problem. My Pixel 6 starting to play music on spotify randomly. I found out that when I force stop the app it would "restart" in the backround and behave like i was opening the app --> start playing music. So in the spotify settins there is setting called "Spotify connect in background" and when its enabled spotify can play music even if the app is closed. So turn this off and it sould fix this kind of problems.

(Spotify still working like It sould u can listen music in background and when phone is closed)

I finally figured this out for my iPhone! I do not recall setting it up, but I had a routine set up in the Alexa App called Sleep Music and it was playing a sleep playlist at 10:40 PM every night. I just disabled it. Somehow I think it enabled itself when I got an Apple Watch. Very bizarre, but happy it’s solved for me!

Suggested posts