Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify starts playing randomly

Spotify starts playing randomly

I tend to leave my computer running, so when spotify suddenly decides to start playing a song while I am asleep, it freaks me the hell out.  Sometimes I am playing a game and spotify decides: "It's music time!" and starts playing a song.  I have to exit out of the game to stop the song playing.  I do have media keys on my keyboard, but whenever I press them after the musical suprise it only restarts the song.

Why does spotify want to keep me awake with music I didn't ask for?

31 Replies

Yeah... woke up to "The State of Massachusetts" by "Dropkick Murphys". 2:50AM last night.

I have same problem since some days ago. In a android device Spotify starts playing any time when I using other apps even if those are using audio, and once during a phone call.

There isn't an option to close completely spotify, and sometimes when device locks without spotify playing, when I return spotify starts playing last song.

I've started having this problem on my mac as well; it just keeps randomly starting as well as randomly stopping. Does anyone have any fixes?

Add me to the list.  This is more than frustrating.  Not only does it start randomly on my Echo, Sonos, PC or whatever, it also stops at times because it's trying to play on another device.  I get a subscription in use elsewhere error.

Fix this.

So, it seems my issue was related to someone having stolen my account info and randomly logging in to play his/her music.  Changing my password seems to have solved it.

I'm going with the assumption that when they logged in, my music would start playing (or they were @$%^&'ing with me in the middle of the night - I'll assume the former).  

I had been suspicious as I'd seen on a few occassions that my account was in use somewhere else.  I didn't know if this was due to it playing at my home or not, but I caught it about 2 months ago as I opened up the app and saw someone had searched for an artist and were currently playing one of their songs.  I immediately updated my password and haven't had an issue of random playing since.

This may not be the solution for all, but figured I'd pass on after an extremely frustrating couple months.

Was suspecting the same thing a mofo messing with my things would like to meet that little kid

This is super annoying! Spotify randomly starts playing music (what I was previously listening to) while I'm streaming a TV show or movie. I kept thinking that my husband was accidently pressing some button when he turns on the sound (we mute most commercials) but maybe it's not his fault! Not sure what's happening... but looks like Spotify hasn't addressed this issue yet.

Try changing your password. Someone got a hold of mine and I was
experiencing the same thing until I updated it. Haven't had an issue since.

Thanks a lot, I'm having the issue and that's exactly how to reproduce it.

For the kind of internet connection I have is very likely to have small interruptions.

But that, in my case, only triggers un-pause, which is the only issue I'm having (in my case, spotify doesn't start playing an unknow song, just unpauses when I have Internet interruptions)

I am having the same issue on my PC running Windows 10, Spotify version 1.0.60.492.gbb40dab8.

It will randomly un-pause the last song I was listening to. I can't figure out what triggers it, as its seemingly at total random. 

I'm also experiencing the opposite issue on my iPhone - Spotify will randomly pause a song I am listening to. 

Both of these are EXTREMELY frustrating. 

same thing on my iphone app version 8.4.18.  oth situations, starts playing when I paused it and stops playing when I'm listening.  uninstalled and reinstalled... still occurs

I was walking my dog and had my tablet(with the spotify app linked to my box) on standby without the spotify app opened, I came home and random music was playing, I was freaked out and thought someone broke into my house, this is weird.

Suggested posts