Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stutters playing local files, streaming is fine

Spotify stutters playing local files, streaming is fine

Description

Spotify constantly stutters (every ~5 secs) playing local files on my hard drive. Spotify plays back streaming songs just fine. 

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Deleted cache

2. Changed cache size

3. Reinstalled Spotify

4. Tested same songs in iTunes (they play fine there)

5. Contacted customer support (they stopped emailing me after 2 replies)

6. Reformatted my computer and did a clean install of OS and Spotify aka did NOT restore from Time Machine (Still have the problem)

*all of this is on a 2012 Macbook Pro. I am familiar with computer hardware (Former IT Tech) hard drive is in good condition. I have an SSD OS drive and an HDD media drive. I have tried sources located on the SSD and the HDD and Spotify still stutters exactly the same.

What I expected to happen

After step 6 I figured all would be well.

What actually happened

No change after formatting and doing clean installs of OS and Spotify

My Operating System

My Spotify version

0.9.11.27.g2b1a638c

My internet provider and country

Time Warner, USA Los Angeles. (but issue is only related to songs on hard drive, not streaming)

My username

Brandon Goetz

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No.

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies

Does this happen with every local file? What is the file format? Is iTunes able to play the files without problem? Do you have an abnormally high CPU and/or memory usage while playing local files?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Yes, every local file. They are mp3 or m4a no DRM. iTunes plays the same files with zero problems. CPU usage is not high and there are no page outs going on at the moment, yet as I type this it is stuttering away.

Any answer to this? It's happening for me, too, and it's very annoying. Using the Spotify Player on Mac, but it also happens from play.spotify.com. Tracks stutter every 5 seconds or so whether streaming or local.

Suggested posts