Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify takes 4 minutes to open

Solved!

Spotify takes 4 minutes to open

hi,

since getting the 2 or 3 last versions of spotify, it has been very slow to open. Sometimes I have to reboot. I use Mac OS X 10.6.8. Spotify version 0.8.8.459.

Anyone else have this problem?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Startup got really slow for me when I started adding new contacts in the new Activity Feed. Then I went to my public profile in the top right corner and deleted all "Following" contacts. That made start-up really fast. Are there any other people who've tried this??

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Sorry to hear that, it shouldn't be taking anywhere near that long.

Have you tried a fresh install, removing all the old Spotify files first?
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

no, how do I do that?

Here's the steps: http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Superb! Thanks

Well it worked for  a few days, now it's back to starting very slowly, have to restart the programme (reboot) and try again. Managed to open now, it says I can install the latest version of spotify (the 2nd  or 3rd update in just two weeks!). I do not feel confident that a new version will solve this irritating issue. Does anyone else have the same problems?

Well it worked for  a few days, now it's back to starting very slowly, have to restart the programme (reboot) and try again. Managed to open now, it says I can install the latest version of spotify (the 2nd  or 3rd update in just two weeks!). I do not feel confident that a new version will solve this irritating issue. Does anyone else have the same problems?

What version are you currently running (Help > About)? 

I have noticed that the latest 0.9.0 client is much snappier. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

got the new 0.9 now when I opened. Quicker so far, mught be my computer as well (Mac OS X, 10.6.8. bought in 2010)

Marked as solution

Startup got really slow for me when I started adding new contacts in the new Activity Feed. Then I went to my public profile in the top right corner and deleted all "Following" contacts. That made start-up really fast. Are there any other people who've tried this??

Wow I've been trying to get to the bottom of this issue for a few months now. My spotify app on mac has been taking 3 minutes to OPEN! I thought it was because I might have a lot of playlists - but the suggestion here to go in an UNFOLLOW people was all it took! I was following 35 people, mostly artists. I UNFOLLOWED all but the 2 that I actually like and my Spotify is opening LIGHTENING FAST. Spotify needs to get on that if they really want to be pushing "Follow Artist XXX" when it actually slows down the app and makes you not want to use the service. Doh!

I have also now deleted artist that I followed (I might as well just search for them when I need them). I now only follow 2-3 friends (wish I could have told you but it keeps saying "loading".  Spotify still takes about 3-4 minutes to load, and I stared 2-3 times already. I had to force it  to close.

What is acutally happening?

Try this suggestion from Rollo guys. Go to the settings page and under the cache settings, select the "use at most" option and drag the slider all the way to the left so it reads 1GB. If it helps, please thank Rollo_ 🙂

Suggested posts