Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't install on Mac 10.5.8

Solved!

Spotify won't install on Mac 10.5.8

When I try to install spotify on my Mac (OSX 10.5.8), I unzip the Installer file and a window comes up saying its downloading then disappears. The "instal spotify" box is still on my dock, but the actual program won't open to let me sign in. It is also not listed in my Applications. Any ideas how to fix this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@user-removed wrote:

When I try to install spotifuggle on my Mac (SOX 10.5.8), I unzip the Installer file and a window comes up saying its downloading then disappears. The "instal spotify" box is still on my dock, but the actual program won't open to let me sign in. It is also not listed in my Applications. Any ideas how to fix this?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Using the installer that you embeded worked for me.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Mac OS X 10.5 is no longer being supported by Spotify from v0.8.8 onwards (the current version). See this announcement.

Try using this installer and see if it works for you. Otherwise it possible I would suggest you update to 10.6 or above.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have the same problem.

with the download link of the older veersion i still don't get any further - deleted all library caches already.... but it crashes instantly.

I miss my spotify please help. 

I have posted updated instructions here for OS X 10.5.x people since the installer from Spotify is no longer working. 

Peter

Peter

this is what i'm experiencing too

Hi,

I still have the old Mac 10.5.8. Spotify did work well for the last couple weeks but about two weeks ago I coudn't start the program anymore. First I had to reinstall the program every day and now  I can't even reinstall it. It's pretty enjoying as I listen to spotify during work. Now I have no music.. Can u please tell me what to do. I tried everyting.. event the spotify web does not work. It says I have to get the flash player which I did but I cant get any step further.

thanks for your advice!

There is a forum member, fgmart, who has helped a number of people get going again on OS X 10.5. Here's a link to his instructions which may help you sort things out.

http://bit.ly/fix-spotify-macosx-10-5

In addition to fgmart's help, another use, mvelinder, has also been really helpful. You can see his instructions here.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Revert-back-to-Spotify-0-8-5-on-Mac/m-p/3...

Basically you've got to get rid of the new client, clean things out, get an old version of Spotify, put some files on the machine to keep Spotify from auto-updating to the new client, and then install/run the old version of Spotify. It's a major hassle.

Spotify is at least partially aware of how much pain they have caused their OS X 10.5 customers. Hopefully they will do something to make it easier for OS X 10.5 customers to listen to Spotify.

Alas, I had the same horror when updating to the new version of Spotify. Fear not! Go to this link, http://spotify.en.uptodown.com/mac/old, to download old versions of Spotify. I downloaded 8.3.222, and it works swimingly!

Not cool. I had the same problem. I have the complete version of spotify but after this i´m gonna cancel the subscrition.

Marked as solution

@user-removed wrote:

When I try to install spotifuggle on my Mac (SOX 10.5.8), I unzip the Installer file and a window comes up saying its downloading then disappears. The "instal spotify" box is still on my dock, but the actual program won't open to let me sign in. It is also not listed in my Applications. Any ideas how to fix this?

@hawlere - Are you having issues getting Spotify installed? 

Peter

Peter

@user-removed wrote:

When I try to install spotify on my Mac (OSX 10.5.8), I unzip the Installer file and a window comes up saying its downloading then disappears. The "instal spotify" box is still on my dock, but the actual program won't open to let me sign in. It is also not listed in my Applications. Any ideas how to fix this?

@stefanstorm70 - You need a legacy client for OS X 10.5.x since Spotify no longer support that operating system. You should be able to download a working client from this post.

Peter

Are you having issues guys?

Peter

When I clicked download nothing would happen for me altogether. When I clicked on the hyperlinked "this installer" it dowloaded. I installed it and then tried to open it and it said "You cannot use this version of the application Spotify.app with this version of Mac OS X" ...

@BlueSunshine If you are running OSX 10.5.8 or older, download spotify from here.

Cheers Joe I just finished installing it there, found another thread with the link to the 10.5.8 version. Thanks for your help though! 

I have had the same problem as previous people who want to instal Spotify ie its icon  will appear and then disappear after a few seconds. My downloads file registers the attempts. Whose problem? Admit to being new to this game but????

Suggested posts