Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming quality does not change bitrate

Streaming quality does not change bitrate

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro 2015

Operating System

OS X Big Sur 11.2.3

My Question or Issue

I made a post under Linux because I've also tested this under Linux also, but that forum has no active mods.

I have found the bitrate quality of the stream does not change when you change the "Stream Quality". I have found this issue on my Linux system as well as my OS X system.

The setting does not do anything. Setting it to low, normal, high, very high does not change the bit rate. It is forever stuck on "auto". Which defaults to 320Kbps (very high) on OS X and 160Kbps on Linux.

I am basing this on:

1) log output from 'spotify --show-console' , setting does not change this reported bitrate here.

2) listening to the quality when set to low vs very high (there's no difference).

Can this be reported as an on going issue / bug tracker if any mods can confirm my findings?

3 Replies

Hey @whyitnowork11

Help’s here!

Just to double-check, have you tried if it makes a difference after performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app? This will remove any corrupted data from previous installations that could be preventing the app from operating at full capacity. 

If you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

The thing is it's reproducible on 2 different systems (os x and linux). I don't have anything in my hosts file on either. On the network level I don't have any filtering. I've also tried a reinstall.

Installing https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd seems to work, I can't accurately say 100% because I don't know how to get the bitrate in logs for spotifyd. I'm going off of sound quality when I set it to low, then swapping to very high.

--- 

If you run your mac spotify client with logging and switch to low, your logs report correctly the bitrate change? Are is it still reporting 320kbps like mine?

Hey there @whyitnowork11,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Another useful step to do is to try with another internet connection.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts