Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sudden appearance of '126' error and desktop app forcing re-login on launch when offline

Sudden appearance of '126' error and desktop app forcing re-login on launch when offline

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro 15" Retina, mid-2015

Operating System

macOS Sierra 10.12.6, all available updates applied

My Question or Issue

Latest version of Spotify introduced two MEGAbugs.

1) Every few startups of Spotify when I'm offline, it will force me to log in to the app upon launch. I have Premium so I can access my offline playlists at home, where I don't have Internet access. I can't log in to Spotify since I'm offline, so I can't access my Spotify library; I can't get past the login screen. This used to work fine (as in, ever since I've had Spotify Premium).

2) Since problem #1 happened again this morning, I visited three different WiFi hotspots (all known and reliable) to try to log in to my Spotify app. In all cases I am getting the '126' error. I even tried disabling the Mac's firewall, the LittleSnitch firewall, and ClamXAV antivirus software. I tried specifying different DNS in the Networks preferences. I also reinstalled Spotify (fresh download). Nothing works.

What the heck's going on, Spotify, that would cause me to be unable to use the app at all? Never had these issues before, ever.

Anyone in the community have a solution to this? Everything I've seen on forums is outdated or doesn't work.

UPDATE 03-02-2019: I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify. Thought the issue with the bogus firewall message was resolved. Yesterday I was using Spotify at home in offline mode. I had an external drive freeze up all the drive buses, so I restarted the computer. When I relaunched Spotify, I got the login window again. When I entered my password I got the firewall error. Uh, I'm not even connected to the Web, so it doesn't make any sense to have a firewall message. It appears that the latest version of has a bug that's a Catch-22: Spotify wants (for unknown reasons) to connect to the Internet to verify account credentials. This totally obliviates the feature of playing music in one's Spotify library offline. Users shouldn't have to verify login credentials of an active account when using Spotify in offline mode.

If I need to use some kind of fixed proxy settings to avoid this in the future, someone give me a heads up.

THIS BUG NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED AND CORRECTED BY SPOTIFY'S DEV TEAM IMMEDIATELY.

~ 2019-02-03.1 at 14.09.28.jpg
~ 2019-02-03.2 at 14.09.52.jpg
~ 2019-02-03.3 at 14.09.56.jpg
0 Replies

Suggested posts