Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suddenly I can't import mp3

Solved!

Suddenly I can't import mp3

Hey!
All of the sudden I can't import any mp3 in my spotify playlists no more.

When I try to drag and drop something into my playlist or local data nothing happens,

I think it doesn't even recognize the data as mp3 because there is not the little "+" icon while I move the mp3 over spotify.

It began a couple of days ago and I can't figure out why and didn't find any information on that online. 

Anybody got advice? because that sucks big time :D!

Greetz!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Alright

Go to Settings on spotify

Scroll down until you find Local Files. Activate it if its not already activated.  Make a new map on your desktop for saved .mp3/.mp4 files or whatever format you have that is supported on spotify.

Then above ur playlists there is a section called "Local Files" . Inside that list is all ur local files saved in that map you made for Local Files

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I found out how to get mp3 files onto Spotify without using the old version. 

First, you have to download the mp3 file you want to get into Spotify

Next, look into the local files button on the left of the screen, where it should be under a bar called "Your Music"

Then, you can add it to your playlist by using the three small dots, on the left of the song on Spotify, and click "Add to playlist" and add it to your playlist.

View solution in original post

54 Replies

Which Spotify version are you currently using? You can find your version by going to the "Help" menu, and then clicking "About Spotify".

You can still import the music by going to the "Edit" menu and clicking "Preferences". Then look under local files and click "Add Source".

Users have reported this feature as missing on the latest Desktop version. Unfortunately, I don't have any information on if/when this feature can return. For now, let me know if doing it in the preferences menu works for you.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

1.0.2.6 Here. Also cant play MP3's anymore. Spotify seems to just keep getting worse

Do you get an error message when you try to play the MP3 files? If so, what is it?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

"....could not be opened. Spotify cannot open files in the “MP3 audio” format."

I get the above message when I Right-Click-Open With- Spotify because I cannot add MP3 files by dragging, it does nothing. Nor does it see the new MP3's in my Local folders, but it does, oddly, see the older ones and plays them too.

I also have an older version of Spotify in my other drive, which can open them without problem, but I just deleted that one in case it was confusing things. 

I got pretty much the same problem

I can't even select the mp3 files 😞

Same here. Can't add mp3's of my own original music by dragging from desk top. Could last week though!

I am having the exact same issue and can't seem to find the way around it. I was able to drag and drop my own local files into Spotify just a few days ago now a little "no" / crossed out mp3 sign shows up when I hover the file over my playlist. Wth? Someone suggested I go to my local files playlist and add from there but that didn't work. I am beyond frustrated considering I pay for this app....all I want is to have all my music in one accessible place. Is there another app out there that can do this without every issue under the sun? 

I am having the same problem.

Same here... I guess I have to find a new music program to use. 😐

I recall simply being able to drag and drop local files. This is no longer possible. Adding via preferences works but also seems to duplicate when Spotify is reopened.

If existing files are relocated to new source folder (created to work with preferences menu), then the local tracks appear multiple times and cannot be deleted from Spotify. This is true even if the local file is entirely deleted from the computer. The tracks remain listed, but no longer play.

Same here...

I am having this same problem and find it completelt unacceptable. How in the world can they go without fixing this or at least explainging what is going on? All of the sudden I cant use any of my local music on the only music app that i pay for? **bleep** that. 

Add your mp3s to a folder then follow these instructions from Spotify to have them included in the "Local Files" section of your libraty.  From that section you can drag songs to a playlist if desired. 

Yeah, that works on my Mac... But local files on my phone is empty and says 'install Spotify on your computer' any clues ?

Do what I mentioned above on your computer and add your songs to a playlist.  After your playlist is created, make sure your phone and computer are connected to the same network and open Spotify on your phone while it's still open on your computer.  You should be able to see the playlist on your phone and tap the "Available Offline" switch.  After syncing is complete you should have the songs on your phone.  

Hi,

That's what I've always done but for whatever reason it no longer works. The songs remain gray and inaccessible when I unplug my phone from my computer.

Ive been trying for 2 weeks now to 'drag' mp3's from my laptop into my playlist or local files, but nothing happens. Are Spotify about to remove the option of 'local files' ??

Did anyone figure out the 'import MP3' problem?

I ripped a CD into Windows Media (making sure that it was ripped as MP3) and nothing I do will make it playable in Spotify.  The tracks are showing as greyed out in Local Files - and greyed out in playlists too - but when I click to play, I get the message: 'This tracks was added as a local file.  If you have the file on your computer you can import it.'

I tried adding the source, but it just won't work - and, of course, the import option has now been removed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are <Edit; removed text> Spotify <Edit: removed text> serious? I can't even play **bleep**ing MP3s anymore!

Suggested posts