Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Suddenly I can't import mp3

Solved!

Suddenly I can't import mp3

Hey!
All of the sudden I can't import any mp3 in my spotify playlists no more.

When I try to drag and drop something into my playlist or local data nothing happens,

I think it doesn't even recognize the data as mp3 because there is not the little "+" icon while I move the mp3 over spotify.

It began a couple of days ago and I can't figure out why and didn't find any information on that online. 

Anybody got advice? because that sucks big time :D!

Greetz!

54 Replies

This worked for me - Thanks a lot for revealing this hidden feature 😄

Fighting Spotify to add an MP3 track today led me here.

I've been trying Apple Music alongside Spotify (long-time Spotify premium user). They are very, very close in features. I think Apple Music has slightly better audio quality, at least to me.

But besides being extremely easy to add mp3s to iTunes, it has other advanced features lacking in Spotify, like audio level normalization (keeping tracks at the same volume) system-wide, and you can adjust the volume of individual tracks too.

For example, I downloaded the audio from a Youtube video and recorded it as MP3 (Audio Hijack for the Mac btw!) and imported into iTunes and then could.not.get.Spotify.to.import.it.  Argh. Which is why I am here.

OK, so I finally got it through the COMPLETELY NON-INTUITIVE "LOCAL FILES" "FEATURE".

Everything uses drag-and-drop. Why is Spotify set up like this? "Normal" people will never figure this out!

However, iTunes *still* has the edge, as the audio volume was lower than other tracks from the same album. On iTunes, I could boost the volume of the imported track. On the Mac, command-i to inspect the track, go to the Options tab, and slide the volume up. Not so on Spotify, so it is much softer than the other tracks, and nothing I can do to change that, short of editing the MP3 in a audio editor (like Audacity). Sure, I could do that, but life is too short for that.

When Apple Music comes to Android, I will be switching. Life is just too short for these issues with Spotify.

U callin me not normal m8?

In that case i will also be checking out apple music. If the selection of tunes is similar then i am sorry but **bleep** spotify, i had enough of their piece of **bleep** software that takes my money but does not deliver.

Yeah... got a new update last few days... something changed? NO!!!

Still can't add local files over drag and drop.

Using the "local" menue? HAHA...

Its so confusing and annoying especially if your library is big and you just want to add "one" new file.

In the past it was sooo simple... just drag and drop in a "playlist".

Today, the way is crap. 😞

Hate spotify for that over a year now I think?

Hi Guys,

I've been having this problem for some time now.  I was able to get all my local tracks back on Spotufy by modifying the AppData Directory.

Under, "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\USERidHERE" you will see a file titled. "local-files.bnk"

Change the name of the file to  "local-files.bnk.old"

Close Spotify and Reopen

All your selected local directories should be playable in spotify again.

Hope this helps,

Norm

I don't know if others have responded to this already, but this does not solve the problem. I am still getting notifications that Spotify can't play anything in the MP3 format. It's pretty frustrating, and I'm seeing other threads on the boards that indicate this is a pretty widespread problem.

I agree. it need u to either use onedrive or create a folder or use anything that can hold mp3s and here is a pic:Here is spotify with a mp3Here is spotify with a mp3

Spotify with mp3.png

thanks a lot it worked for me...

the quickest and simplest answer into this chaos 

I switched to Apple Music and iTunes, which makes it easy to import my music and sync. Problem solved! Whole family for $15/month too.

Wow Spotify sorted it out man! This is the worst and most buggy software
which is also not free! Absolutely disgraceful.

On my phone there isn't a button for Local Files in settings...

I still can't add mp3 files trhough preferences -> local The files -> add source. How do I fix this?

Marked as solution

I found out how to get mp3 files onto Spotify without using the old version. 

First, you have to download the mp3 file you want to get into Spotify

Next, look into the local files button on the left of the screen, where it should be under a bar called "Your Music"

Then, you can add it to your playlist by using the three small dots, on the left of the song on Spotify, and click "Add to playlist" and add it to your playlist.

THANK YOU, I've had this song on my desktop for sooooo long I just wanted it on my playlist, so thank you for helping me out.

Suggested posts