Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turned on shuffle on the phone overrides it on the desktop

Turned on shuffle on the phone overrides it on the desktop

Device

(Macbook Pro 2016 / Xiaomi Redmi 9)

Operating System

(Mac OS Big Sur 11.6 / Android 11)

My Question or Issue

When the shuffle option is turned on on my phone, it shuffles the songs on the desktop as well, even though it is turned off there

3 Replies

Hey there, good question.

Actually, if I am not wrong then this is Spotify Connect, you can read more about it here. If you are logged into some other device and that is opened at the same time you are playing on the Desktop. If you change the shuffle on one device, it changes on the other one that is active at the same time.

To avoid this, you have to close the app opened in your phone so it will respect the settings on your Desktop app. Keep us posted!

Throw a like my way or mark this as a solution if I helped. ‌😊

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yeah, thanks, I know about Spotify Connect. What I was saying is that it should not be like that, this isn't a feature, it's a bug (and a bad UX as well). Shuffle and repeat options should change accordingly to the current device you are on.

I see you are not satisfied with the feature and how it works but if we think about it, you cannot use one Spotify account to play on multiple devices at the same time. Spotify connect is actually known popularly as one of the best features that sets Spotify apart from the competition.

There is actually no problem, in this case, the shuffle and repeat options can be set by you. They change and work depending on what device is currently playing. If you are using Desktop to play then the options from any other device will simply control the Desktop app and not the mobile app. 

Using one of your devices as a remote to control playback on any other device anywhere anytime is actually very much loved by the users. But, for sure we appreciate your view and respect your opinion. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with and if you have an awesome idea to suggest, don't hesitate to head over to our Ideas board.

Throw a like my way or mark this as a solution if I helped. ‌😊

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts