Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Two different devices using my Spotify account can play different songs at the same time! Why?

Two different devices using my Spotify account can play different songs at the same time! Why?

Hi there everybody..

When playing a song on Spotify on my Mac - I used to be able to change it using Spotify on my iPad. I like this feature. It was like using my iPad as a controller.

But since about 6 months ago, it stopped working, meaning I can actually play two different songs at the same time on each device... (I know some users would actually like to have this feature!) but I want to continue being able to operate one device from the other.

I have checked as many reasons as possible, including using the same Wifi network, logging out and back in etc... but it just won't work. It's like the connections are not talking to each other.

The only notable change in the last 6 months is that I upgraded to Premium. But as far as I can see, that shouldn't make any difference, because these two devices are 100% definitely the same account. Eg.. if I change the playlist on one - the other updates immediately.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? Or if anyone might have any suggestions? Maybe a Spotify expert??

Cheers, Neil

-

6 Replies

Hi @honestchap and welcome to Spotify Community! 🙂
You should still be able to use your iPad as a remote control via Connect, however, the only way two devices could play different songs at the same time is if one was offline. You can do this with your Premium subscription if you'd like! Just download the songs to the device you want offline and the one that is online will stream live. This would not allow the Connect feature at this time though.
For the Connect control functionality - have you already tried the steps on the Connect help page? I have copied the most relevant info below for mobile/tablet and hope that this can help! Feel free to reply with any other questions and I will do my best to help. Have an amazing day! ☀️

Mobile and tablet

1. Open Spotify and play something.
  2. Tap Devices Available at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Tap the device you want to play to.

Note: If you pause for more than 10 minutes you may need to reconnect.

Not seeing the device you want in the device list?

Try switching off the Show local devices only setting. This means your app will try to find nearby devices that aren’t on the same internet connection as you. Here's how:

1. Tap Home 

2. Tap Settings 

3. Tap Devices.
  4. Switch off Show local devices only and try Connect again.

Hi Bethany

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately you don't seem to have understood my question. I don't want to play different songs on multiple devices. My problem is the opposite - I want to STOP playing songs on multiple devices!

To explain clearly - you stated "the only way two devices could play different songs at the same time is if one was offline"

Well that's EXACTLY what is happening and neither of my devices are offline!

Also - when I tap on 'Devices Available' at bottom of screen - the other device doesn't show. However any changes to playlists on one device shows instantly on the other.

I will state again - BOTH devices are online, and they are on the SAME account. They shouldn't be able to play different songs simultaneously - but they are!

Grateful if you have any further suggestions..

Neil

-

Hello? Anyone out there? I've been abandoned!

Hey @honestchap,

Thanks for clarifying that!

We suggest that you start off by performing a clean reinstall of the app on both of your devices to make sure they are up to date and synchronized.

If that doesn't solve the issue, can you let us know if you're able to use the Connect function when logged in on a different device?

We'll do our best to help you sort this out, so keep us posted.

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi Katerina

I re-installed the app on both devices but still same problem.

Still can't see my Mac in Connect screen on the iPad

Mac says connected to iPad under Devices, but I can still play two different songs on each device.

Playlists update immediately and are mirrored on both devices.

Please see pictures attached:

1. iPad screen

2. Mac screen

3. Photo of both devices playing different songs (sorry for picture quality)

What I don't understand is that I changed nothing and used to be able to control the Mac from the iPad... but about 6 months ago it stopped working 😞

Best regards, Neil

-

Example 1.jpg
Example 2.jpg
Example 3.jpg

Hey hey @honestchap!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Is it possible to try connecting both devices to a different network to see if that makes any difference?

For example you can create a hotspot on your phone and connect the Mac and iPad to it.

We'll also need to know the Spotify versions that you have on both of the devices.

We'll be on the lookout for your update. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions 🙂

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts