URI no longer a share option

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

All

My Question or Issue

I use a third party auto playlist generator that adds new songs to existing playlists in my library. In order for this third party service to add songs to existing playlists, it needs the Spotify URI. It looks like Spotify has gotten rid of the URI or hidden it from users. It used to be in the share dropdown of any media (playlist, album, song). Is Spotify URI gone forever?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @logankyte 

In the new desktop app you'll see that the sharing options in the options menu have been reduced to "Copy link" and "Copy embed code". You can still copy Spotify URIs if you hold down the modifier key (alt/command) while in the share menu.

On Mac holding down either the option or control key worked for me, but it might be slightly different on Windows.

An earlier post from Dan on the desktop team said this:

"People accidentally sharing URIs isn't a great experience for the recipient so we've slightly hidden this option, but we didn't want to remove the option entirely as we know that a small amount of people do use and perhaps rely on it for various things."

URI - NDE.gif

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey @logankyte, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Yes as part of a revamped Desktop experience there's plenty of changes, some features are missing but hopefully they will be added in future updates. You can let them know by adding your feedback in this thread here.

Currently, to get that same format, go to the thing you want the URI for, but in the Share submenu click on Get embed code. From that new snippet look for 'src' which is near the beginning, then only get the part from embed/playlist(album or track)/a long code. Now just replace / with : and embed with spotify then you will get the URI.

This will server as a workaround until that might be added later on.

An example:

<iframe src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/track/0VjIjW4GlUZAMYd2vXMi3b" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

==>>>

spotify:track:0VjIjW4GlUZAMYd2vXMi3b 

Hope it helps 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey @logankyte 

In the new desktop app you'll see that the sharing options in the options menu have been reduced to "Copy link" and "Copy embed code". You can still copy Spotify URIs if you hold down the modifier key (alt/command) while in the share menu.

On Mac holding down either the option or control key worked for me, but it might be slightly different on Windows.

An earlier post from Dan on the desktop team said this:

"People accidentally sharing URIs isn't a great experience for the recipient so we've slightly hidden this option, but we didn't want to remove the option entirely as we know that a small amount of people do use and perhaps rely on it for various things."

URI - NDE.gif

MattSudaSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks, but if I want to copy URIs of more than one entry, then this option did not work! Is there also a key combination for that?

Hey @peddanet,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Regrettably, there isn't an option to select and organize multiple playlists. It seems however that other users also requested this to be changed and posted this idea. We recommend that you +VOTE it to show your support. We'll share any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any, so it's worthwhile that you also subscribe. We also recommend posting an idea bout a keyboard shortcut for copying URIs. You can learn how to do this here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I use it!!!! Why did you take it off? I have hundreds of songs saved, and it takes a lifetime to find the song that is currently playing so I can share it, it was so much easier for me to just hit the right click and share it, I share music through dong url all the time on twitter, I'm super disappointed.

ok, but.. what about people who have hundreds of songs saved and I just want to share the one that's playing at the time, which is not in sight in the list, it is **bleep** to try and find the one thats currently playing so I can share it.

Thia was a terrible decision. I useds to use the url share on the little cover art on the bottom left corner to share music on twitter ALL THE TIME. I want it back, please!!!!

Hi @Mdxdavid,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

On the mobile app, unfortunately there's no option to copy the URI link. However, on the desktop app you can right-click on the album cover on the bottom left side of the window. Then press Ctrl/Alt on your keyboard and you'll have the option to copy the URI.

Hope this clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Nothing happens, I right clicked on the album cover on the bottom left
corner then pressed ctrl+alt and NOTHING happens!

I just want the ability to share my songs right from this corner, please,
DO SOMETHING?!!!!

Hey there @Mdxdavid,

Looks like other users are experiencing the same issue, until there's a resolution for this we recommend you head over here, where we are keeping everyone updated.

The right folks are already working on a fix and we hope to have more info soon 🙂

Cheers!

XeniaModerator

Suggested posts