Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unsave local files from My Music

Unsave local files from My Music

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

MacBook 2012

Operating System

MacOS High Sierra

My Question or Issue

I don't know how to remove a song from my music tab. It is a local file, but is unplayable (grayed out). I have tried so many things to get rid of it, but nothing works. What do I need to do?

5 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Hi! Thanks for responding!

The version of spotify I'm running is 1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f

The operating system on my Mac is macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Thank you so much!

Hey @aidanmwright,

Thank you for the information!

Please follow the steps below to do a clean install of Spotify:

1. Click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Finder then click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
  3. Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client folder.
  4. Click the back arrow.
  5. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  6. Download and install Spotify.

Try it and tell me how that goes 🙂

I tried that, but the grayed out local file is still there.

I’ve had this same issue for several years now. One song, used to be a local track that is no longer on my computer, now greyed out on Spotify, will not delete from my Library.

I even had Spotify Cares do a “backstage” clean, complete wipe of my entire library to try to get rid of it. They were confident that it would do the trick. It was gone at first, and then a few hours later showed up in my library again. I’ve even switched computers, so the local track itself is most definitely not causing the issue either. It’s not a matter of a clean reinstall, or restart, or anything basic like that. I’ve tried *everything* over at least the past two years, and the track will not go away.

I’ve resigned myself that the track will haunt me to my grave. Hope you have better luck with yours!

Suggested posts