Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Update for June 13th - Scrolling saved playlists made more annoying!

Update for June 13th - Scrolling saved playlists made more annoying!

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Macbook Air Mid-2013)

Operating System

MacOS High Sierra

My Question or Issue

I just got the new update for today, and the scrolling on the left now is made more annoying and rather inconvenient, as Home, Browse, and Radio aren't part of one scroll and there seems to be a invisible black bar the top covering the playlists further up, as a design choice this seems rather bad. I do not like it nor appreciate it in the slightest. I don't like complaining on you guys, but of all the update changes, this is my only gripe. Please fix it if you could, at least the invisible black bar. Thanks.

17 Replies

Same here, it's extremely annoying. Before we already had that huge "New Playlist" button that was taking up lots of space, but OK..

And now the Home/Browse/Radio part is sticky, which leaves less then a third of the sidebar space for the playlists.

I mean, why introduce such a change? Are the users too stupid to scroll to the top to reach Home or Browse?

Please revert this change. Seriously.

playlist-sidebar-space.png

I just got the new update, too, and this is really annoying. It minimizes the available space of the sidebar and one's playlists for no reason.

Plan: month by month and you better believe i can cancel anytime

Premium

Device

(2015 macintosh)

Operating System

(iOS stoned sierra)

My Question or Issue

the left sidebar including my songs, playlists/other is now not mounted with the home, browse and radio bars, this means i cannot have the album art a desirable size at all anymore, without it meaning i cannot now scroll, as the whole thing doesn't move up, it's only in the last week i have noticed this. this is completely unnacceptable.
wanna know something? i just got my four year badge on spotify and i'm willing to flush that away for a good, easy to use service. fix this by the end of the week. or i swear to god, every song iv'e even thought about in the last four years, will be transferred to apple music. and i will leave you. forever. FIX. THIS. NOW. 

Hi @izreor !

I can understand that this is a problem that causes a lot of trouble. However, I would like to remind you that almost everyone in this community is a fellow Spotify user who is just trying to help out other people like you. There is no reason to get upset.

With regards to your problem, this is a solution that is often overlooked. Have you tried to restart your computer? And if that doesn't work, try to delete the Spotify app from your Mac, restart the computer and install it again.

Hope this works out!

Merlijn

I've deleted and reinstalled this app 5 times and nothing has happened. Spotify really needs to go into retrograde because these new changes to UI are not great whatsoever. I had to download an APK on mobile because it was so bad.

Plan

Free/Premium

United States

MacBook Pro

(late 2012)

OS Mojave

I've deleted and reinstalled Spotify from my computer and the same issue is still there. The scrolling bar on the left is not working as it should. It separated Home, Browse, and Radio from Recently Played, Albums, etc., so now the scroll window is so small I can only read one title at a time.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 11.14.37 AM.png

Hi @americawentz ! 🙂

I had this issue too, but you can resize the menu on the left so that it's easier to scroll through. Just hover your cursor over the side margin and it allows you to click and drag the box until it's at a comfortable enough view.

I hope this helped and have an amazing day! 🙂

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 9.58.10 AM.png

This isn´t an error. It's another brilliant idea from the development team. They have put it this way from the last update. They don´t get tired of touching things that work, and spoil them.

I'm seeing this on windows desktop app as well. It's almost unusable at this point because if I make the album art smaller to give more breathing room it also provides less width and I can no longer read my playlist names.

At this point the only workable solution I can find is to minizmie the album art so it is on the bottom bar with the controls. This somewhat defeats the purpose for me though since I would rather be able to see the album art in a larger picture.

I have attached a screenshot showing this in practice as well.

ytho.JPG

I'm seeing this on windows desktop app as well. It's almost unusable at this point because if I make the album art smaller to give more breathing room it also provides less width and I can no longer read my playlist names.

At this point the only workable solution I can find is to minizmie the album art so it is on the bottom bar with the controls. This somewhat defeats the purpose for me though since I would rather be able to see the album art in a larger picture.

I have attached a screenshot showing this in practice as well.

ytho.JPG

Does anyone of you know how to actually report a bug to Spotify? I mean we are in the support forum here, I doubt any Spotify people will read this...

Anyways, I found a couple more threads for this issue, posting them here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Update-for-June-13th-Scrolling-saved-playlists-made-mor...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/left-sidebar-scrolling-NOT-working/td-p/4772173

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Scrolling-not-working/td-p/4773672

I really wonder how this "feature" got through quality control. I mean with now more than 100 million subscribers you might expect them to test their application on different screen sizes...

There is another thread for this issue:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/New-Desktop-update-messes-up-scrolling-with-album-art/m...

Please consider liking that thread as well so this annoying issue gets some traction and hopefully will get notices by Spotify employees. Thanks guys!

OK, it's been four months. It seems like Spotify considers this a "feature" which is meant to stay.

So I took matters into my own hands and found a solution, which I'd like to share. For the fix you unfortunately need to install a tool called Spicetify-CLI, which involves using the command line. Nevertheless, if someone is interested I can post a small guide here.

ezgif-5-e578c2aa9536.gif

While I was at it, I also removed the width restriction for the left sidebar. That means you can now make the album cover really large and have some nice kind of split view, with the album cover on left and the current playlist on the right 🤘

ezgif-5-85789755c057.gif

Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you!

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to us about this.

We just wanted to confirm that this was an intended change to the app.

If you would like to suggest a change or improvement, we suggest you create an idea about this and encourage fellow users to add their vote to it.

You can find out more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Thanks! Stay awesome 🙂

Actually can't believe the audacity of your supposed fix, "turn it off and back on again" team well trained well i see. I believe there is always a reason to get upset when a monopolistic company implements features to the detriment of its users, clearly i'm not the only one with this issue.

At present day: the sidebar is about halfway between old and the new stupid update version in my view, at least i can see a 5 or 6 playlists in a row, and it's somewhat a compromise on the dimensions, and i no longer have to scroll and look like i'm viewing my playlists individually like i'm looking at them on a rotating dial. though to reiterate the point this really isn't necessary, i mean surely a company that by it's own admission nowadays "doesn't really make any money anymore" should focus less on *insert whatever expletive offends you most here* - ing around with terrible updates, and more focused on their business model, which should prioritise meeting consumption use for your PAYING CUSTOMERBASE.

However MY issue was really at heart just with artwork viewing size... fortunately for you, i couldn't actually be bothered to migrate my playlists at the time, but after 6 months or so my personal issue was fixed when you implemented the ability for me to zoom in, so now i can do this. (pictured below) now all you gotta do now is implement allowing users to remove/block followers. good day.
>
can you believe that, "have you tried restarting",  restarting and updating was the reason this problem occured loool like wth hahahahaaa oh dear.

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

great now you got rid of the zoom feature, thanks for **bleep**ing ruining my day. cheers

Suggested posts