Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Video ads way too loud

Solved!

Video ads way too loud

Listening to my music at a reasonable volume and then all of a sudden a video ad will come blaring on, seemingly at least twice as loud as my actual music volume. Loud enough to ****ing literally hurt my ears. This needs to fixed immediately. This latest update is just a mess. The lead developer and anyone who OK'd the update should be fired. The update should be rolled back until someone competent, and who also values user experience, is put in charge.
193 Replies

Simple Fix

I agree, the volume on the ads are anoyying. What I have done to work around the issue is put the volume on Spotify all the way up, and then control the volume via the computer speaker volume. This way the ads are the same as your music and you can still adjust the volume of your songs, just through the computer instead of the volume bar on spotify. 

Well this is not solved.

It's like you're going to a shop and complaining, that you can't turn down the volume of your new boxes anymore and they tell you to adjust the level of volume by taking distance to your stereo-system.

Spotify is a paid service, either by advertisement or subscription, so thank you for the temporary solution, but please don't tag this bug report as fixed.

Exactly. There is only one true solution: force the advertisers (including Spotify, whose own advertisements are of the same, too-loud offensive nature) to record their ads at a reasonable volume, the same way all TV advertisers are now required to do due to the exact issue discussed here. Short of this solution, all other fixes are just users finding a way to put up with Spotify rather than fully enjoying their Spotify experience.

I still refuse to use Spotify anymore, instead using Amazon Prime and Pandora, because the fact that this is not yet fixed is an indication that Spotify still doesn't care about its customers. Each day I hope that one of these email notifications come to me saying something like, "We at Spotify have heard you, Spotify Community, and have made the changes to our ads to make the listening experience more pleasurable, and less medically destructive, for you." Until that day I remain a once-great fan of Spotify who really wants to come back on boycott.

The amount of time you spent wasted on manually typing this out is shameful.

Bump

I had to close Spotify because the video commercials ARE MUCH TOO LOUD!!!!!            

THIS IS NOT A NEW PROBLEM, SO WHY HASN'T SPOTIFY SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGREED   -- I'M JUST GOING BACK TO PANDORA AND MY OWN PERSONAL CD COLLECTION FOR A WHILE BECAUSE SPOTIFY IS OBVIOUSLY IGNORING ALL OF US!!!!!!!!

They are still having this problem... And it happens all the darn time. It is unbearable. If they don't fix this in the next update I'm done with this garbage.

If spotify cares so much, why aren't they already fixing this volume issue? I don't use Twitter, and this is the. Forum Spotiify created for trroubleshooting.

I just want the volume issue fixed.

Whoops... Guess this isn't a solution, unless the answer is boycotting until spotify fixed the problem.

Not only is this a noise problem to the point where it's raping my ears. But I also play music with spotify when i play games. But I do not anymore Because While I'm playing games the video ads start clipping and pausing and freezing and sometimes it takes minutes to get through an ad unless I close the game then close spotify so the ad wont go on for a while. This problem needs to be fixed. Congrats spotify. You lost another user because of your Companies Incompetence.

I too am one more loud ad away from uninstalling spotify in favour of an alternative.

I am quitting using Spotify until they fix this issue. Multiple times, both my self and my roomate have been woken up in the middle of the night because we left spotify playing as we went to sleep, and a screaming loud ad comes on and wakes one/both of us up.

This is unacceptable Spotify. Shame on you!

"HI I'M MARK RONSON, AND I'M SCREAMING AT YOU AT AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DECIBEL LEVEL THAN YOU SET YOUR MUSIC TO, TO ASK YOU TO BUY MY  B U L L S H I T."     Give this **bleep** a pop filter, and reduce the volume.

"ARE YOU SICK OF LISTENING TO ADS?!?!?"      Stop making voice clips to annoy people into "upgrading" to £120/year extortion. 

The ads are too loud.

NSApotify fail again at customer care.

Mods fail again at relaying the message.

NSApotify even used my gmail when I made this account, without my consent wtf.

Notch was right about this company.

Ok, now I'm hearing ads from them saying "Don't like our ads?  Subscribe for ad-free listening.  Here's some annoying kittens to hammer the message home..."

In other words, they know about the problem, and not only don't care, they're *actively* making it worse on purpose.  AKA, trolling us, hoping we'll pay them to make it stop.

I understand they're a business, and not making enough money.  I doubt I'd ever actually sign up for a paid service though, just to get music.  I'm just not the right customer.  So beating me with a stick doesn't serve the purpose of making me want to give them money.  It might make me stop using it though.  Which could be what they want, since I wouldn't use up some of their bandwidth.

This is really bugging now, listening at a comfortable level and then BANG!!!  I was wondering if it would be possible to sue Spotify if you received perforated ear drums because of the sudden volume change

Has this thing been officially addressed and fixed? Don't see any real solutions here. Normal ads have ok level of volume. How come you think video ads need to be louder? Is it because they have moving pictures instead of static images so they need to be louder? is that it?

I'll just post here to add to the number of people whos eardrums hurt when listening to spotify on headphones and all of the sudden the sound starts blasting up when the video ads came on. I'm wondering if we can sue spotify if this thing causes hearing damage.

There is a workaround described above that stands:

Set the volume on the Spotify player software to maximum. Then adjust
the computer output volume back to a comfortable level. No more loud ads.

Problem lies in the fact that Spotify allows advertisers to adjust the
player volume, against your will, when their ad is played, overriding
the player volume setting you have set yourself. Naturally they set it
to max - because they can!

When you set the volume of the player to max yourself, the ads cannot
increase volume anymore higher than you now listen to your music at.
Effectively you have created a ceiling to the audio volume.

This results music and ads be played at the uniform level. And you still
can set the actual output volume to any level you like via the computer
volume setting.

Tested. I can confirm this is an effective workaround, that Spotify
cannot bypass without your consent.

I will check this out, but it sounds like a perfect solution! Thank you for sharing! I look forward to using Spotify again.

Completely intolerable. I just almost had my ears damaged by Sia screaming "I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!" Another almost equally terrible ad is for some film about Mars and has a man screaming.

Suggested posts