Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volume keyboard shortcuts granularity way too large on Mac since last update

Volume keyboard shortcuts granularity way too large on Mac since last update

Description

Since last update (1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd), changing volume on Mac using the keyboard shortcuts (Cmd-Up, Cmd-Down) changes the volume by a very large amount (looks like 20%), making the shortcuts less useful. Did not repro on current Windows client (sorry, don't have version handy).

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Focus Spotify window

2. Use the mouse to set a volume that is slightly lower than desired.

3. Press [Cmd-Up] to increase volume

What I expected to happen

Volume increases in small increments, allowing desired volume to be set

What actually happened

Volume increases by a very large amount, requiring mousing to set desired level

My Operating System

OS X 10.10.2

My Spotify version

1.0.1.1060.gc75ebdfd

7 Replies

Hey @gmathis , 

Thanks for the feedback. We're still making a few tweaks to the new update. We'll make sure it's passed on to the right team.

Hi there,

Any idea on when this is changed? It shouldnt require that much time I guess?

At this moment every CMD + [arrow up] still gives a 20% increment. It would be great if this could be ± 10% or even 5-10% per increment.

Thanks for your reply.

Koen

It would be great to change this and match iTunes in terms of stepping percentages. iTunes stepping is very smooth.

Same here (Mac OS El Cap.). However with me it's Spotify Connect. Default seems to be linked to the scale of your receiver (and equals). If I change the max volume within my receiver, the steps change (max from 60 down to 45, makes the steps a bit smaller)..

However, I just want to do a + and - 1 step on my receiver, not some percentage.

Android does this a bit better, but still not good. I want smaller steps.

Seconded for Linux as well. There are only 20% increments in volume and my cats jump up now when I go one level up which is not good for their little hearts.

Ctrl+Shift Up goes immediately to 100%, I'd instead recommend to have that one use finer control.

This has been open since 2015! Common Spotify, its a variable adjustment. I am a seasoned developer. How hard can this be? Unless your you have that much hard coding?! It is such an aweful experience not being able to enjoy your passion of music at the level of volume that suit an individual. Small change, massive end user experience benefit. How are you weighting adding user value? I think I would be horrified to see how your prioritise features. This is a no brainer, please. Lets not wait a fouth year! 

When using the scroll wheel to change volume as well. Right not it's completely useless feature since it increases/decreases the volume by way too much.

Really wish there was an easy way to control volume in spotify.

I'm always super scared that my hand will twitch to max volume when using the mouse to drag the volume. (Mostly only problem when using Spotify Connect. When listening on your computer it's controlled externally.)

Suggested posts