Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Pro Retina mid-2015.

Operating System

Mojave 10.14.2

My Question or Issue

With the most recent update, the app suddenly started crashing repeatedly.  I would have to reopen it about 4-5 times before it would stay open and then it would play for a brief period before crashing again.

Deleting the cache, doing a purge of all the associated preference files, and removing any trace of spotify on my Mac seems to have fixed the crashing issue.

HOWEVER, since doing said clean reinstall, all the songs have started stuttering and skipping rather like a an old scratched up CD.

I tried almost all the suggested fixes for this new issue when I was dealing with the crashing issue.  Come on, what is the deal??  DO I have to switch over to Apple music??

6 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

I'd also recommend updating to macOS 10.14.3 and try to disable Hardware Acceleration, just click on the spotify Menu in your Menu Bar next to the Apple Menu, just find Hardware Acceleration and next click on it to disable then confirm to restart Spotify.
Also, if you don't use local files try to disable them inside Settings.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I'm having the same stuttering / skipping like a scratched CD issue with every song since today on the Windows 7 64 bit desktop app.  My internet is perfect, and the mobile Android Spotify app does not have the same problem.  The desktop app is not showing that it needs an update, and it was working perfect this morning.  Literally all I've done since it was working earlier was shutdown my computer and turn it back on once I got home this evening.  Ever 60 seconds, all songs begin skipping forward 3 seconds, stuttering, skipping back 3 seconds, stuttering, skipping forward 3 seconds, repeat.  Pressing pause and then play "fixes" it for another 60 seconds, and then it begins skipping again.

I tried reinstalling Spotify.  I tried disabling Hardware Acceleration.  I tried disabling crossfade.  I don't have any local files.  I changed proxy from "auto detect" to "no" hoping it would help based on a bunch of people having this problem back in 2012 saying that fixed it for them.  None of that worked.

Besides this person's post today, I haven't seen anyone else make a post about the same problem.

I pay for Premium, and I have for years.  What's going on?  Yet another company/service I enjoy and support going down the drain?

Same problem here. Spotify desktop app was working just fine a few days ago, now it's just stuttering mike some crazy guy pressing Play and Pause simultaneously.. So annoying. I've tried to reinstall the app but the problem persists. Mobile and Web work fine.

SOLUTION: Found the solution, simple yet silly. Just quit that nasty Spotify notifications icon on the top bar of your Mac (where you have the hour, date..). Quit it and there you go. It will start playing fluently. Easy.

I'm still having this issue. While someone suggested getting rid of the menu bar app, I don't seem to be able to do that.

I'm running OS X Big Sur.

Spotify, you have literally one job -- stream music. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread. Apologies for the late respond. We just came across this thread.

Can you confirm if you followed these exact steps? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Another useful step to do is to remove your hosts files. You can do it by following these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts