Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why I can't hide/remove song on desktop?

Why I can't hide/remove song on desktop?

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil

Device

Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System

MacOs Catalina 10.15

My Question or Issue

Why can't I hide music on my computer?
Why hidden songs on the phone are being played on the computer?

27 Replies

Hey there @btz1!

Thanks for reaching out to us on the Community.

Can you let us know if you have trouble hiding songs on all the Made for you playlists? 

We'd also recommend logging out > restarting your computer > loggning back in.

We'll also need to know your Spotify version and how long you've been experienced this.

We'll see what else we can suggest when we get a bit more info about your issue.

Take care!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Elena

There is no option to Hide Music in the desktop version. And even the songs hidden by the cell phone, are played on the desktop.

spotify.jpg

@Elena ?

I have the same problem with my "Your Top Songs 2020". I can hide the songs I don't want to listen to on my mobile, but they still play on desktop. 

Somehow skipping songs you don't like over and over again makes them into your top100 -.-

Hey @btz1 and @SimonOpsi,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Currently you can select the Hide this song option next to a song only on mobile devices. Keep in mind that this option is device and playlist specific, which meant that it can still come up on another device or playlist. Something that might be more convenient for you is to stop a certain artist from playing altogether on the mobile device you're using. Do that end navigate to to Artist page and select Don't play this

Other users have went ahead and posted an idea requesting that the option to select Don't like this is added everywhere. If this is something you'd also like to see  you can consider adding your +VOTE to this idea. We'll keep you informed on any developments there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this shines a bit of light on the matter. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Is this the idea you're talking about? If not, do you mind posting a link to the idea where we can vote for it?

Hey @noahplusplus,

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

You can vote for the one you mentioned or for this one to show your support. 

If you have any questions, just let us know!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Both the issues above are marked "implemented." So, I doubt 'liking' them will create any action on Spotify's side. Since I just went through the trouble of updating my MacOS Spotify app, and it still doesn't have any way to dislike, hide, or otherwise remove songs that I hate, I'm skeptical whether Spotify has any actual interest in keeping Mac desktop users like me as a customer. 

For something as stupidly simple as "dislike this song/artist," it seems like you guys are working really hard to ignore feedback from people.

The only workaround I have found is to use my cell phone as a remote. If the phone and the device playing Spotify are on the same wi-fi network you can skip songs using the phone. This works when I am using my PC and the app on my smart TV. This still doesn't resolve the issue at hand - it seems that this option should be available on all platforms - it is an integral part of using Spotify. I don't like everything they serve me on my daily mixes...

The overly convoluted "Top Answer" in this thread is a perfect example of how complicated the experience of using Spotify is. And that listening to and managing actual artist albums just does not matter.

We just want to hide a song. It's that simple. You already have the feature built, just add it.

----- Update Jan 2023

Revisiting this more than a year later, and assessing some responses... A moderator thinks this is a bug so we should restart our computers lol, and the other, a "Spotify Legend" suggests this gem:

"Something that might be more convenient for you is to stop a certain artist from playing altogether on the mobile device you're using"

Think about that, we want to hide ONE SONG (out of potentially hundreds of rippers across albums) with a feature that already exists (on mobile), and this dickhead says completely block the artist.

WHY wouldn't you add this feature in the desktop version?

Please do, having to skip songs every now and then gets annoying after a while.

Agreed, it's pretty ridiculous that this isn't an option on desktop. I shouldn't have to go hunting for a mobile device every time I'm working and want to hide a song or not play an artist.

This absolutely needs to be an option for the Desktop App. What the bleep is your dev team up to?

sometimes i want to dive into the brains of devs and try to find the "why". then i get bored and leave the idiocracy @ it's best.

I hate some songs a lot, and boy do I wish they would stop playing. I left spotify once before because this wasn't a feature. How isn't this a thing by now?

WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO HIDE A DAMN SONG IN THE DESKTOP VERSION? At this point I might as well make a simple code in AHK to check every 5 seconds if a song from a list of disliked songs is playing, and then have it automatically skip to the next song. This is much more coding on my end then it would be for Devs who get paid for it and it only solves the issue for one out of millions of users. Spotify, you've heard the people, please at least comment on why this is not a feature in the desktop version only.  

Its unbelievably bad UX design to create this feature for mobile but not for desktop.  A few years ago Spotify rebuilt everything from the same code base so all their apps would share functionality. 

May 2023 and this option is still not on desktop. Ridiulous

I've had a premium family membership for years, but at this point, I'm about ready to switch to something else.  I can't believe this hasn't been implemented.  If I hide the song on mobile, why would Spotify think I want to listen to it on my PC or my soundbar, or my tesla, etc...  How hard could it be to check for the "hidden" flag?  Pull your heads our Spotify.  Fix this, please!

Suggested posts