Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why do podcasts not update without exiting and reentering the app?

Why do podcasts not update without exiting and reentering the app?

I have used Spotify on Mac for quite a few years and it has always baffled me how a company this large and experienced allows such a poor user experience for podcast listeners. The podcasts lists on all podcasts do not update if you have clicked into them once since the app has been open on your device, I believe this is the case for the Windows app as well. 

So if you keep the app open for a day and there is a daily podcast, the list will not update by itself despite there being a new podcast if you have already been in a specific podcasts playlist menu once. To see the new podcasts you need to fully quit the app and relaunch it. That is terrible user experience. Why does this not just poll the spotify server and update the list of podcasts as they come?

Is there anything on the roadmap to fixing this glaringly obvious issue?

12 Replies

Hey there @spottypodd

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

In case the Spotify app on your Mac doesn't refresh podcast episode lists and logging out and back in solves this only temporary, you might need to perform a clean (more thorough) reinstall of the app on your device. This way you can start afresh with Spotify by getting the latest app version. Check out this help page in order to find the steps for clean reinstall on the affected device. Once you’ve performed the clean reinstall you'll need to re-download your offline music and podcasts.     

If you observe the same after the clean reinstall, try if it works after restarting your router/modem since this will refresh your Internet connection. It's also a good idea to test if you observe the same under a different network. If it works with another connection, it's best to contact the service provider of the original network for more information. For example, some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) might restrict access to certain services, which would explain what happened here.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Thanks for the advice Ivan. Its not just a mac thing it is on Windows also. If a new podcast episode is released Spotify does not update the list of podcasts if you've already viewed them once while the app is open. This is a flaw with the app in that you need to restart the app to refresh the list of podcasts. I find it odd you've suggested something so clearly not the issue as someone's internet connection and to contact my service provider. This is a flaw in the app not an internet issue!

Agree with the above. Still an issue. 

I just did a full uninstall and reinstall and the new podcast that is available on Soundcloud is not available in Spotify. 

Having this isue on Mac too. I hope you can find the time to fix this bug.
How many of you have pressed CMD+R as if to reload a web page? 😉 Of course that just means "repeat" in Spotifyian.

grts!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Currently there is no option to automatically update a certain podcast if the same one has already been opened. 

You can click here and add your +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this. Rest assured that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.    

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Stay safe! 

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Exact same problem here. They are utterly useless. Still no videos for podcasts on most platforms either. Third rate company who lucked out by throwing all their money at Joe Rogan then ripped off all his customer base.

And update to the app that we have to re download.... should come with a “refresh button.”  Done. 

Hey @jonnythesaint and @Smackatoo,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It doesn't seem that the Spotify reps have understood the concern.

The podcast feed should be refreshable to add the podcasts that have been published since the last time the app was closed/re-opened. The end.

Is this on the Spotify roadmap?

It’s absolutely ridiculous. Their robotic responses are utterly useless. Not a suggestion in sight. And meanwhile, still can’t videos on any platform but my phone.

This is a terrible IT response. "Your computer must be the problem" and if you have no earthly idea what a "more thorough" reinstall looks like, I guess your just **bleep**? Thanks for nothing.

I will cancel my account. The lack of this feature for sure is the lack of ability from the backend to process the feeds, the lack of understanding from the frontend and ux team, and the responses of the moderators are completely non sense “reboot the router???” seriously??? It is so annoying this!!! Today, 2021-07-22 at 10:47AM spotify didn’t update all the podcasts feeds that I have more than 24hrs… I started to listen then again in Pocket Casts!!! And canceled my family account!

Suggested posts