Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does sometimes there no sound coming from my Spotify app but the bar says it is playing?

Why does sometimes there no sound coming from my Spotify app but the bar says it is playing?

I am using the Spotify application on my Macbook Pro. The app is always open while I am doing other things and when I want to play my music sometimes there is no sound playing (only on Spotify, sound from Youtube or anything else works fine) but the time bar at the bottom is still moving. Also sometimes when this happens a blue banner appears at the top saying "unable to play current song" or something similar to that but this does not appear every time. 

To fix this I have to restart the Spotify application (exiting the app and opening it up again). When I do this the music works again but still, sometimes I will get this problem again and it is very annoying having to restart my Spotify every time. 

It is not my earphones, my volume is not on mute and I have tried reinstalling Spotify but I still have this problem.

I am using version MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 and Spotify version 1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce

3 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Faced similar issue, tried restarting the app but it didn't work. Disabled "hardware acceleration" and restart Spotify seems to fixed the problem. You can then reenable "hardware acceleration" and should still work.

I have the same problem, I cancel my subscription until Spotify fixes this issue or provides  a solution.

Suggested posts